Pics

Phillisy

Songster
Apr 9, 2019
Alberta, Canada
We were setting up our cover-all shed today, and the ducks and geese were wandering about with us as always, when one of my ducks came over and grabbed a nut and ate it! He usually spits stuff out, and I grabbed him to get it out of his mouth as soon as he took it, but I was too late. Is this something I should be concerned about?! Of course it had to be my favourite duck that did it; that's just my luck.

We don't have an exotic vet within 600km of us, so that's not an option. I put him in his house, so I can monitor his poop, and I gave him a bunch of grass hoping the fibre helps it move through him faster. Is there anything else I should do or be watching for? Maybe I'm overreacting.

Definitely concerning, you're doing the right thing by keeping him somewhere that you can monitor poo to see when it passes. Ducks digest things extremely fast, so it's possible it will be out by morning. Since it didn't have any sharp edges, I think it should pass with no problem, just keep an eye out if it doesn't pass soon or he stops eating/drinking.

Fingers crossed for some nutty poo! :fl

Lol! How I've not dealt with that at my house (3 boys, and husband) is beyond me!! Did you keep the penny?? Bet it's lucky! :lau:gig
Nope, as bad as he wanted to, I was not fishing a penny out of turd in the toilet. I've dropped a couple phones in the toilet and the only reason they got fished out was because they cost many many many many MANY pennies.

I have a [beep]ing glass marble in my duck's run!
I assume that [beeeep] thing has already passed through many of my 24 ducks by now. When it is pooped back out there's always another duck gobbling it down before i can find and confiscate it.
Whenever i see them fighting over the marble i run towards them only to see one duck frantically gulping it down before i can take it away as if it is a tasty bug.
My hope is that one day it will be pooped out into one of the water bowls where i will see it when i change the water.
My ducks swallow all kinds of stuff, from pebbles to pieces of wood to that glass marble and so far everything came back out. Somehow they know not to swallow stuff with sharp edges or pointy things.
They also shredded the foam insulation from our AC-cooling lines but ate nothing of it, just had fun destroying the foam.

I have a [beep]ing glass marble in my duck's run!
I assume that [beeeep] thing has already passed through many of my 24 ducks by now. When it is pooped back out there's always another duck gobbling it down before i can find and confiscate it.
Whenever i see them fighting over the marble i run towards them only to see one duck frantically gulping it down before i can take it away as if it is a tasty bug.
My hope is that one day it will be pooped out into one of the water bowls where i will see it when i change the water.
My ducks swallow all kinds of stuff, from pebbles to pieces of wood to that glass marble and so far everything came back out. Somehow they know not to swallow stuff with sharp edges or pointy things.
They also shredded the foam insulation from our AC-cooling lines but ate nothing of it, just had fun destroying the foam.

I swear they hoover things just to aggrivate us lol. They're entertaining little boogers, to say the least. My main concern is it sticking around and him getting some kind of toxicity from it. Fingers crossed he doesn't evacuate it only for it to be eaten again :fl

Oh come on!! Ur a boy mom, what's fishing through a piece of poo for a penny?? No, I totally get it...have to draw the line somewhere. Housework, no thanks, let me go hang with my birds...
I used to have poo wars cleaning stalls with my friend, launching horse turds at each other. I still poke apart animal poo in the woods with sticks to see what they ate. But human poo....:sick

Back
Top Bottom