HELP DUCKLING ACTING WEIRD

HappyDuckies

Chirping
Aug 18, 2015
Hi. I got 2 ducks from tractor supply 2 weeks ago, Sadie and Bean. Bean is bigger than Sadie. Sadie is breathing quicker than Bean is and I’m kind of worried. She’s been doing it since I got her. Other than that she’s eating fine and acting fine. I went to my local feed store and got some Amoxocillin and put it in their water for 5 days. I’m not sure if it helped or maybe she was breathing slower because she’s growing. But I’m really worried and not sure what I should do. I felt her beak and it’s hotter than Beans but her beak is also buried in my hair and Beans is not. I can hear her breathing but I can’t hear Bean breathing. I’m not sure if I should do something or leave it alone since other than her breathing weird she’s fine. I was wondering if maybe a duck can have underdeveloped lungs or something or small lungs and maybe that’s it? She also is starting to have a stronger peep as well as Bean, almost like their quack is starting to develop.

I'm sorry you to hear about your duckling.

I don't know much about ducks, so hopefully @Miss Lydia @Cayuga momma @CayugaJana @WVduckchick can help.

I'm sure the others will want more information, so if you can take a video of her, that would be good. Upload it to youtube and provide a link.
If video's not possible, some photos of your sweetie might help.
Also tell what you are feeding them.

Hi there!
It could be a number of things causing one to sound different than the other. So I have more questions than answers. What type of bedding are you using? What are you feeding them? Is their water deep enough to keep their nares good and clean? Are they inside or outside?

Hopefully it’s nothing serious and clears up quickly. A video would definitely help if you could try to get one. And of course we love pics! :)

@HappyDuckies. There’s plenty here who want to help can you answer some question please. What breed, temp in your brooder, and set up with pics please and what your feeding your ducklings. Pics or video of your duckling also if possible. We’re always happy to help but we need a starting point.

Last edited:
@HappyDuckies. There’s plenty here who want to help can you answer some question please. What breed, temp in your brooder, and set up with pics please and what your feeding your ducklings. Pics or video of your duckling also if possible. We’re always happy to help but we need a starting point.
I’m feeding them Nutrena nature wise starter. They are Pekin ducks. The temperature I’m not sure but I adjust the light according to if they’re under it or on the other side and make sure they’re not too hot and not too cold but I definitely don’t think it’s a heat issue because she hasn’t panted with her mouth open and the other one is breathing normally. I attached the set up it’s the only picture I have of it and I’m not home at the moment. The light is attached on the other side facing directly down instead of shining over the entire bin. I change out their shavings which are blended wood shavings twice daily and rinse out the bin with soap and water and scrub it with a sponge and do the same with the water container and food container, once when I wake up which is around 6am and once when I get home but I take them outside and play with them for about 30 minutes or so, only if the temperature is above 70F. I’ve lost ducks to upper respiratory infection before, one died in my moms hands as she was giving it the shot and the other 2 fortunately survived, so I’m extremely cautious about mold growing and making sure everything is extremely clean.

Attachments

• 8933BA7C-029B-4988-9B20-81E3CD52B3C7.png
    8933BA7C-029B-4988-9B20-81E3CD52B3C7.png
    1.6 MB · Views: 10
Hi there!
It could be a number of things causing one to sound different than the other. So I have more questions than answers. What type of bedding are you using? What are you feeding them? Is their water deep enough to keep their nares good and clean? Are they inside or outside?

Hopefully it’s nothing serious and clears up quickly. A video would definitely help if you could try to get one. And of course we love pics! :)

I keep them in my room inside and I answered other questions responding to Lydia :) the water is deep enough, I’ve never had a problem with my other ducks and I’m using the same waterer but I do notice they are a little clogged after we go outside to play and they dig in worms, and I usually fill up the bathtub to their legs with a little warmer than room temperature water so they can clean out their nares. The main concern is Sadie breathing a little quicker than Bean. I’m unable to get a video but I have plenty of pictures!

Attachments

• D6AD1E2A-049F-4B0F-A4E5-90D657D52DE0.jpeg
    D6AD1E2A-049F-4B0F-A4E5-90D657D52DE0.jpeg
    422.5 KB · Views: 9
I keep them in my room inside and I answered other questions responding to Lydia :) the water is deep enough, I’ve never had a problem with my other ducks and I’m using the same waterer but I do notice they are a little clogged after we go outside to play and they dig in worms, and I usually fill up the bathtub to their legs with a little warmer than room temperature water so they can clean out their nares. The main concern is Sadie breathing a little quicker than Bean. I’m unable to get a video but I have plenty of pictures!
Sadie is the one in front.

Back
Top Bottom