Help! Epsom salt bath bumblefoot remedy backfired.

Kame

Chirping
May 7, 2022
California
My chicken got bumblefoot and I have been soaking her in Epsom salt water to take it off. I irresponsibly used way to much and now paying the price. My chickens foot is now yellowish as if I cooked her, and her skin seems irritated. I have been putting on Ungüento Veterinario De La Tia in hopes that would help. She does not get out of the coop and continues to sit on top of the eggs all day. I still have bits of bumble foot left to remove, but I do not want to risk her more than what I have already. What should I do? I put pictures below of her feet and tummy. IMG_20220605_171044141.jpg IMG_20220605_171103148.jpg IMG_20220605_171122478.jpg

Can you please get some photos of the whole hen as she's standing so we can see both legs?

I don't see anything alarming about the legs that I can see. Nor the skin along her keel bone.

She's sitting on eggs all day? Is she broody?
I think she is broody. She has been sitting on the eggs all day. Here is a picture of her standing, you can barely see her leg because it is bandaged up. I put pictures of her sister to compare her color. Roja, (my bandaged up aka the one with bumblefoot) feet are more yellow and her skin is redder than her sister's. IMG_20220605_201331039.jpg IMG_20220605_201749403.jpg IMG_20220605_201815726.jpg

Yeah, can't tell anything about the legs.

Probably her natural coloring, they have just been washed.
I think the color looks ok, no burns.

Having a bare spot along the keel is common in laying hens, they can rub off those feathers while roosting, getting into or out of the nesting box and they will pluck out feathers if broody.

Do make sure she's drinking and eating well. If she's not sitting on fertile eggs or if you don't plan for her to hatch any eggs, it'd be best to get her out and moving about.

Yeah, can't tell anything about the legs.

Probably her natural coloring, they have just been washed.
I think the color looks ok, no burns.

Having a bare spot along the keel is common in laying hens, they can rub off those feathers while roosting, getting into or out of the nesting box and they will pluck out feathers if broody.

Do make sure she's drinking and eating well. If she's not sitting on fertile eggs or if you don't plan for her to hatch any eggs, it'd be best to get her out and moving about.
Thank you! I will make sure to do so!

Yup, as above, collect the eggs if you want her to stop sitting on them. Broody is not the same thing as taking what I call "egg naps". Sleeping on eggs seems to be lovely all on its own. Broodiness is more a fever dream of bad self-care.

I have 3 little bantam Leghorns that like to sleep on eggs. They will bully each other to be the one who sleeps with them if I don't pick them up fast enough. It isn't aggressive, just a little pushing of puffed out chests.

But if I walk in and have snacks with me they will run to get some snacks.

Where a broody hen will stop eating and refuse to leave her eggs. She will forgo treats and sometimes not eat when she has chicks so they have everything for themselves. She won't dust bathe, she won't do the things that are fun or healthy for her. That is what I mean by bad self-care.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom