HELP!!!! Exposed membrane and blood vessels!HATCHING CHICK WITH MISSING BOTTOM SHELL!

Pics
It's hard to say when to start...but if blood vessels seem to be receding and she's moving and vocalizing more.....I might start chipping away at that shell.

So you have good tools to do so?
I've found a tweezers or very small hemostat work well to grab just tiny bit of shell and break it out. Be careful not to pinch anything inside shell, keep inner part of tool just inside inner surface of shell. Hope that makes sense.

Also do you have a place set up to work on it?
I use a utility lamp on a hinged arm set low to work area to provide warmth.
Line a small dish with warm damp paper towels to put egg in.
A small 'spatula' made out of cardboard or thin plastic is good for daubing vaseline or coconut oil on the exposed membranes.

Hope that helps....Best of cLuck!..or rather Best of DUCKling!
Yes I do have the equipment! I just need to set up. I'm just so worried of she still has yolk.
Before I do anything, what do I do if there is still some yolk unabsorbed?

Yes I do have the equipment! I just need to set up. I'm just so worried of she still has yolk.
Before I do anything, what do I do if there is still some yolk unabsorbed?

Start with widening the hole around the bill. Chip the shell off first, leaving the outer membrane. Moisten it and check for blood vessels and try to only peel the membrane where there are no big vessels. then work your way back. Eventually the head will fold out, maybe into your hand, so be prepared! Lol
shine your flashlight down the belly and look for yolk. Don't pull her all the way out. put her back in the incubator and let her work her way out the rest of the way

:fl

Start with widening the hole around the bill. Chip the shell off first, leaving the outer membrane. Moisten it and check for blood vessels and try to only peel the membrane where there are no big vessels. then work your way back. Eventually the head will fold out, maybe into your hand, so be prepared! Lol
shine your flashlight down the belly and look for yolk. Don't pull her all the way out. put her back in the incubator and let her work her way out the rest of the way

::: Filing this all away into my *just in case* cabinet:::

Ditto Dat^^^
I usually just take a bit of shell off at a time, stopping if there's any bleeding,
then put it back in bator to rest for 30 minutes or more.
I have never pulled the chick all the way out,
just opened shell enough so it can get out on it's own.

These are call ducklings that often need assistance because of their short bills and necks. I watched them like this for over 24 hours before they fully hatched.
WP_20171014_08_41_10_Pro_LI.jpg WP_20171013_08_44_19_Pro_LI.jpg

Ditto Dat^^^
I usually just take a bit of shell off at a time, stopping if there's any bleeding,
then put it back in bator to rest for 30 minutes or more.
I have never pulled the chick all the way out,
just opened shell enough so it can get out on it's own.
I just peeled a bit where the beak was not straying from the boundary on that hole except to the tip away from the cracked end. Her head did not pop out, but if she starts really fighting she should be able to get her head out of the whole I made.
I didn't touch some of the membrane as there was a couple tiny blood vessels I did not want to nick

These are call ducklings that often need assistance because of their short bills and necks. I watched them like this for over 24 hours before they fully hatched.
View attachment 1184783 View attachment 1184784
That little yellow call duckling in the first picture looks almost the same as what I did for my duckling.
She is sitting in the incubator to hopefully do the rest herself

Back
Top Bottom