Help! eye injury

chuckachucka

Crowing
6 Years
Mar 22, 2016
I just discovered that my six month old polish pullet has an injured eye! It is swollen and has been bleeding but the blood has dried now. Does it look like a pecking injury? Or could it be something else? Her crest normally half covers her eyes, so I have trimmed away the feathers on that side so that they don't poke her eye more.
The other eye is fine. She seems a bit more lethargic than normal, maybe in pain. Is there anything I can do for her or should I just leave it alone? I just wiped it gently with some warm damp tissue so far to remove some of the dried blood.

Attachments

• WP_20180320_12_08_55_Pro.jpg
    WP_20180320_12_08_55_Pro.jpg
    226.1 KB · Views: 10
SOunds like she’s doing a pretty good job on healing it herself and I’d have done exactly what you did it’s mynown polish drama queen but if I thought she was in pain & generally depressed / sorry for herself I’d give her hypericum. We can get it from a chemist in the uk or amazon. Gives them a real boost.
Oh And keep doing your daily check on her.

My herbal two penneth ❤️
⭐️Interfering isn’t always the best policy..sometimes Mother Nature knows best⭐

Last edited:
Eye pecking injuries are common in chickens. I had a polish hen who eventually lost the site in her eye after a peck. She was always bumping into other chickens accidentally, and they tended to pull out her head feathers on occasion as well. I would go to your feed store, and ask the clerk for a tube of Terramycin eye ointment which you can apply a dot into her eye twice a day to help prevent infection. Vetericyn eye gel is also a good substitute if Terramycin is not available. The usually lock up the Terramycin in stores. In my chicken, I used plain triple antibiotic or neosporin ointment, since it was an emergency, but it is not as sterile for eyes.

I will try to get ahold of some ointment. For now I have separated her because I'm worried the others will peck at her until she heals. I can't actually work out where the blood came from (the eyelids or inside eye?), but I think she can still see ok in that eye. She's already such a spazzy chicken, I can't imagine what she would be like if she lost her sight in one eye! In fact I'm surprised the other chickens were able to find her eye, her crest is so big.

I always tried to trim the feathers away from My 2 polish's eyes, being careful now to cut too short as to cause bleeding, so they could see better. Polish are peculiar little chickens, and mine eventually got killed by hawks 2 and 4 years ago. I don't think I would get those again, especially because of having their head feathers pulled out once or twice a year. They are cute birds, though. Mine always hung with the banties who were the outcasts of the flock.

The eye is looking worse today. There is an area of dark red coloured skin which could be bruising, and swelling, plus today I noticed some bubbly froth in the eye. I'm wondering if it's even definite that this IS a pecking injury or if it could be something else? I've never seen anything like this first hand.

Attachments

• WP_20180321_10_18_52_Pro.jpg
    WP_20180321_10_18_52_Pro.jpg
    261.7 KB · Views: 7
  • WP_20180321_10_19_18_Pro.jpg
    WP_20180321_10_19_18_Pro.jpg
    277 KB · Views: 7
I found one of my polish had an eye infections Several times as her feathers were so dramatically drag queen headdress like ..so when she got wet they drooped and often got muddy ( we live in Buxton , England ) when we lost her I decided polish were unsuited to life in Buxton..too cold and wet..although they are adorable hens.

Looks like peck wounds and infection to me...

There were lots of suggestions in previous posts for treatments ..What is she on currently?

Last edited:
Eye bubbles can be a sign of mycoplasma, but it also could be just from a peck wound, and it looks like there are other little wounds on the face.
Mycoplasma (MG) is treated normally with an antibiotic Tylan50 injectable given orally 1 ml per a 5 pound chickens 2-3 times a day for 5 days. MG can cause swelling of the eyelid, sneezing, and other respiratory symptoms.

Back
Top Bottom