Help for a newbie!

Update: she is still tired and lethargic. Again, a little worse but not yet horrible. While I'm waiting for tylan, I gave her some liquamicin 200, (orally for tonight) electrolights and Vet Rx on her beak. I syringed her some water very slowly with the electrolytes. She doesn't like to bend her head, she starts to sneeze. She is pooping more than before. White, watery with bits of green in it. Not sure what the green is, I inspected it, no worms and the green stuff looked like tiny balls of grass. After I gave her bits of water over 15 mins, she kind of threw up and then sneezed 5-6 times in a row.. Felt so bad 😔 Shes still gaping and slightly wheezing. Im trying to keep her strong enough until the Tylan arrives, trying to do what I can to give her a fighting chance. I also put electrolytes in everyone's water and will also put some Liquamyacin as I heard another one of my girls sneeze. I already change and clean the water every day. The coop is new, they've only been sleeping in it for 5 nights, before hat they were in large bins at night and free-range during day. It did get cold at night quickly here, so idk where this came from or how they got it. I've had them 4 months or so. Thank you for your suggestions and help, I really appreciate the posts and assistance. I will have questions about dosing and water soluble vs injection. The Liquamyacin 200 oral vs injection, i read the oral isnt as effective as the injectable, I now have syringes/needles but is it sub-q or intra-muscular? And when do I give again? Im doing what I can, the best I can... any suggestions or advice are very much appreciated.

The LA oxytetracycline is for cattle, and is meant for giving into the muscle every 3 days because it it a long acting drug. The dosage for chickens, and giving it orally are a bit confusing. Most drug books say to give it intramuscularly into the breast muscle, but I would try giving it orally. Read post 13 and 18 here for dosage suggestions:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/la-200-dosing-orally.1407807/page-2

I'm sorry she's not getting any better :hugs
Good suggestions from @Eggcessive
Green poop can be from not eating.
With her spitting water back up and she's not been drinking, I would suspect a possible blockage in addition to whatever else may be going on. Do what you can to keep getting fluids into her a little at a time.

The LA oxytetracycline is for cattle, and is meant for giving into the muscle every 3 days because it it a long acting drug. The dosage for chickens, and giving it orally are a bit confusing. Most drug books say to give it intramuscularly into the breast muscle, but I would try giving it orally. Read post 13 and 18 here for dosage suggestions:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/la-200-dosing-orally.1407807/page-2
Yes, I spent a half a day researching the dosage... and what i found is - there is no hard and true answer. However after the hours of reading, 1cc or 1 mL for a 5 lb chicken every other day for 2 weeks seems to have good results. If after 2 weeks there is a relapse, continue for another 1-2 weeks depending on severity of symptoms. The other most promising dosage is 1cc per 2 days, (repeat on 3rd day) so same length of time. Supplement both with electrolytes and general supportive care. Vet Rx usage is mixed. I out it on her beak as it won't hurt and any relief from congestion is positive.

Let us know how the oral dosing helps symptoms. Hopefully the Tylan (Tylosin) will arive soon. It is valuable to have around in case of a later outbreak. Vet Rx has only oils from herbs and a little camphor odor similar to Vicks. There is nothing in it that will treat respiratory illness, but they sell a lot of it.

Let us know how the oral dosing helps symptoms. Hopefully the Tylan (Tylosin) will arive soon. It is valuable to have around in case of a later outbreak. Vet Rx has only oils from herbs and a little camphor odor similar to Vicks. There is nothing in it that will treat respiratory illness, but they sell a lot of it.
Thank you.
Today is not going well. She was hanging in there, I was syringe feeding her liquid food and water with vitamins. Today she is listliss, drooping her head, not eating or drinking. Im giving her bits of fluids but not very much. We are sitting in the sun and she is making happy noises, but my heart is breaking. The Tylosin is due today and I am anxiously waiting and hoping its not too late.

Sorry that she is worse, and not responding to the LA200. I think there could be something else making her so ill. At this age, Mareks disease, a reproductive infection, or heart problems can surface. We never really can know for sure what was going on sometimes until testing and a necropsy by the state vet can be performed after we lose a chicken. I hope that she will respond to the Tylosin, but she sounds weak. You could try to make a feeding tube with aquarium air tubing and a large syringe. Tube feeding fluids, ground chick feed made very thin with water, egg and yogurt might help unless she is having a crop or gizzard problem. Feeding tubes and dpsyringes can also be purchased online and from a vet. Here is some info:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/th...ng-guide-pictures-under-construction.1064392/

I ordered the Tylosin from 2 places to see where I can get it from first. I couldn't find it anywhere local without a vet visit. Ill get some electrolytes and keep her warm and separated. Anything else? Her crop is empty, she's not eating. She's trying to drink, but she starts to sneeze and gape. 😔
Hi I am so sorry your baby is sick. I don’t know what your laws and refs are like in NJ. However, I live in MS and we have local feed stores like farm and ranch suppliers fairly abundant in several towns around very city etc., they are different than a Tractor Supply because they are privately owned. They have antibiotics for livestock available for sale in abundance. Do you have those in NJ? We could not survive without them. Our farmers and ranchers would be in a world of hurt without them not to mention the many backyard flock owners because we cannot get Vets to see backyard flock birds here. They just won’t do it. TSC will only sell antibiotics to us if we have a Rx from a Vet. If you have those that is where you should try to go. They can help you tremendously get what you need for your birds when they are sick. Hope this is a helpful idea.

Peeps on this thread. My Tylan showed up and it's in powdered form. She is not drinking except the little bit by syringe. (Where before she was) How can I make the tylan injectable or is there something else I can do? Thank you!
I gave her the tylan 50, diluted in water as said and got her to take some of it. Ill come back in a few hours after she's rested and give her more. Fingers crossed.
One last thing- I noticed there is this cheesy looking stuff in the roof of her mouth and her eyes are kinda dry looking and swollen. Put warm compresses to alleviate, but i didn't want to stress her too much right now. Im assuming this is part of the infection?

Last edited:
Tylosin powder, mix it as suggested on the package. Syringe the mixed solution into her beak several times a day.

Do you have Tylan50 (injectable) as well? You mention powder then Tylan 50?

Cheesy stuff in the beak - is there a bad odor?

Back
Top Bottom