HELP! Found duck egg, possible double yolker/twins?

Discussion in 'Hatch-A-Longs' started by capemuscovies, Feb 21, 2017.

1. capemuscovies

capemuscovies Just Hatched

Feb 16, 2017
    Cape Coral, FL
    [​IMG]
    Long story short, I found a Muskovy duck egg on the pavement and took it home after the mother rejected it. The egg has been doing great for about three days now in my homemade incubator; wiggling, growing etc.

My problem is that I believe she may be a twin egg or double yolker. I can provide pictures, but upon candling this morning the egg seem to have two different tiny lifeforms. They wiggled around pretty independently, but I could possibly be seeing the body and head as one of the blobs was darker than the other ( even though I'm sure the neck could NOT stretch as far as to seemingly separate the blobs)?

Any advice? I am very new to hatching eggs; I have never done it before, though I have loved birds for my whole life.

:) thank you for the help!

Last edited: Feb 21, 2017
  2. mustangrooster

mustangrooster Chillin' With My Peeps

Hello and [​IMG]

That sure does look like a double yolker...if they dont look like its joined then id say its a double yolker.

Are you up for this Journey? [​IMG]

3. capemuscovies

capemuscovies Just Hatched

Feb 16, 2017
    Cape Coral, FL

Yes!! I'm super excited to possibly hatch them :) I'm shocked at how well they are doing, I don't have a proper incubator or ANY proper supplies, yet the growth in the egg is very obvious. When I candle them they dance around in different ways, so they are definitely alive ^^
    Any idea of how old they could be?

4. mustangrooster

mustangrooster Chillin' With My Peeps

Ha! Thats always good to hear. However it will be tricky because with hatching twins although it can be done theres a low hatch rate unless you help them..

Very exciting indeed.

Hmm, im not exactly sure but i'd say maybe 5-6 days old? Sorry i cant really tell from the picture.

Heres a chart that you might want to look at, you might get a idea on the age [​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. kissezmychicken

kissezmychicken Out Of The Brooder

Mar 13, 2017
    Any news?

6. NickiePA

NickiePA Out Of The Brooder

Mar 14, 2017
    Somerset, PA
    Just wondering if there's an update on this story???!! Was it is double?? Gosh... pics please!!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by