HELP!!! Guinea Hen Attacked

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Renegade, Feb 21, 2008.

1. Renegade

Renegade Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 8, 2007
    Griffin, GA
    Hi Everyone,

I could use some ideas. Normally I would just treat this and not worry but the big problem is I'm going out of town tomorrow.
    Here's what happened. I got up this morning to one of my guineas curled up against the fence. I picked him up (first clue something was wrong) and all of the feathers from the neck back are missing and there is a half dollar size whole on his back. He tried to stand but fell over. I'm thinking the neighbors dog got him. I put him in a crate in my laundry room. I am planning to put him on antibiotics and treat the wound. The problem I have is I am going to a dog show. So would it be better to leave him in the crate with food and water or take him with me and take the chance that the stress will kill him? [​IMG]

Donna

2. SpottedCrow

SpottedCrow Flock Goddess

I think he'd feel more secure in the crate, especially if you think a dog got him in the first place.

3. Renegade

Oct 8, 2007
    Griffin, GA
    Well unfortunately he was so badly wounded he died. [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] After he passed I looked over him more thoroughly and found many puncture wounds and a huge bruise on both sides of his chest.

Donna [​IMG]

4. horsejody

horsejody Squeaky Wheel

Feb 11, 2008
    Waterloo, Nebraska
    Have you talked to the neighbor? They should know about it just in case it is their dog. That way they can take precautions about letting him run loose, unless, of course, the dog was confined and guinea was in his yard.

5. horsejody

horsejody Squeaky Wheel

Feb 11, 2008
    Waterloo, Nebraska
    I forgot to mention, i sympathise greatly. I have lost some to dogs.

I am very sorry for your loss. [​IMG]

6. SpottedCrow

SpottedCrow Flock Goddess

I'm sorry you lost your little guy.

7. Renegade

Oct 8, 2007
    Griffin, GA
    The neighbors dog is not confined but I am fully fenced. Unfortunately the guineas do on occasion go over the fence.

Donna

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by