Jaimee Shaw

In the Brooder
Dec 18, 2017
Help!!!! Two days ago I found a small duckling near my duck who had ducklings. The momma duck was missing 4 ducklings so I assumed that this duckling was hers, the duckling was frightened by me and ran into the pond to the mother duck, the mom inspected the duckling for a moment before biting it and trying to chase it away, the duckling ran off and I picked it up.

It turns out that her missing four had fallen into a hole and this duckling wasn’t hers at all but there were no other mother ducks around.

I returned the 4 and took the other duckling home. I made him a bed, dried him off, gave him a hot water bottle, water, food and then I left him to rest.

The next morning he was doing very well. I gave him a short paddle bath so that he could clean himself then dried him and let him roam around my living room. He was very active for about 2 hours, following me but also doing his own thing. He began to get tired at around 5pm when I put him into his bed and he dozed off. This morning he was cheerful but didn’t want to eat, I put it down to him just being full because he’d eaten sometime that night (his bowl was a little more empty) he drunk a little bit then slept again, he has been wanting to sleep and only eating tiny amounts up until now, it’s 3:40, I just tried to feed him some water and he threw up everything he’d eaten today.

He is walking fine and keeps squeaking but has lost one gram of weight. He’s currently sitting near me because I’m worried about him. His eyes keep drifting shut before he suddenly snaps them open again. I’m very worried. What do I do??

He’s been eating skinned, crushed peas with hard and mushy unmedicated chick crumbles as recommended.

(He just fell asleep)

HELP!!!!!!

EDIT: He’s just had electrolytes and has gone back to sleep

Last edited:
We raise ducks and every once in awhile, a duckling will be rejected by the mom and no matter what we do they always end up not making it. I am not saying that is the case for you, but just wanted you to know sometimes you do everything you can and nature still takes its course.
Now with that said, ducks can throw up if handled too much after eating, so maybe that is what happened. Depending on the age, it may not need to eat a whole lot. As far as the eyes, it is normal for them to be alert even when sleepy, so that may be normal as well.
Is the duckling acting weak in addition to the things you mentioned? Otherwise, the characteristics you are witnessing may be fairly normal. This is all based on our experience only, so others may not agree or have things to add. Best of luck with the little guy!!

ducks can throw up if handled too much after eating, so maybe that is what happened.
this is true. Also maybe mixing his feed with water to make a porrige might help him keep it down.

His eyes keep drifting shut before he suddenly snaps them open again.
Peeping like this is fairly normal. Especially if youre sitting by him and making even a tiny noise to disturb him. Somehow they do manage to get sleep, but Id highly recommend a heat lamp on him

this is true. Also maybe mixing his feed with water to make a porrige might help him keep it down.

Peeping like this is fairly normal. Especially if youre sitting by him and making even a tiny noise to disturb him. Somehow they do manage to get sleep, but Id highly recommend a heat lamp on him
Good advice. Also, ducklings need niacin in their diet. Not much, a small $5 bottle will last you a lifetime. Is there a sticky on duckling care you can read? I'm on my phone and can't tell...
Please get the little guy a heat lamp. I've read on here that a stuffed animal helps lone babies too.

The only heat lamps I can get quickly are for reptiles, is that ok or do I need to order one for chicks? If he does need a chick one, what can I do instead while I wait for it to arrive?

He sleeps with two stuffed tiger toys
Awesome. I'd imagine they help keep him warm. Also, i've read that ducklings without a mother should NOT be in water (bathing/swimming) because the lack the oils on their feathers that they get from mama; getting wet can chill them. There are LOTS of friendly people on the duck forum here if you have questions.

Back
Top Bottom