help! hen keeps falling over!

luta

Hatching
Sep 7, 2016
help! my daughter's favorite chicken, luta, keeps falling over. at first I thought it was a hurt leg or wing, but she will every once in a while run or flap her wings. she has been sitting most of the time, and recently starting laying on her side.

she has been eating and pooping normally, and doesn't have bumblefoot.

she is a gold laced cochin, about 3 months old. please help us save luta!!

Welcome to BYC.

Is she eating and drinking?
What type of feed/treats do you feed?
What does her poop look like?
Was she vaccinated for Marek's?
Can you take her to a vet?
How long have you had her?
Is she laying exclusively with her legs under her or does she splay them out?

It could be a number of things, from nutritional/vitamin deficiencies, to Marek's or some other illness.

Offer some poultry vitamins in her water, look for a vitamin that has B2(riboflavin), if you can't find that, you can crush a human B-Complex vitamin and put it in her food. Extra protein like egg, tuna or mackerel may also be helpful.

A fecal float test taken to your vet may be helpful in determining if it is a bacterial infection, cocci or worms.

Marek's can also cause the symptoms that you are seeing, so you may want to do some reading on that.

MAREKS
https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/the-great-big-giant-mareks-disease-faq

MAREK'S VIDEO

Thanks! She is eating and pooping normally. She has a little trouble getting around, but she still loves food! She is not vaccinated. I had not heard of Marek's before this. She is only 3 months old and is not laying yet. I've had her since she was a chick.

Should I look for a vitamin that is only B-2, or is a b-complex better? Does dosage matter?

Thanks so much!

Thanks! She is eating and pooping normally. She has a little trouble getting around, but she still loves food! She is not vaccinated. I had not heard of Marek's before this. She is only 3 months old and is not laying yet. I've had her since she was a chick.

Should I look for a vitamin that is only B-2, or is a b-complex better? Does dosage matter?

Thanks so much!

Mainly you the the B2(Riboflavin), but a B-complex would be fine. B vitamins are soluble in water, so any extra is excreted.

Have you ever treated for Cocci?

they have been on medicated chick feed, so I don't think it's coccidiosis. thank you!!!!

Mainly you the the B2(Riboflavin), but a B-complex would be fine. B vitamins are soluble in water, so any extra is excreted.

Have you ever treated for Cocci?

Back
Top Bottom