HELP HEN LAYING FERTILE EGGS WITHOUT A ROOSTER!

I’m going with unidentifiable rooster in the flock. Unless they are free range and you have a neighbor with a rooster that free ranges?
As far as a neighbor with a free range rooster, I have no idea. But all of the hens in my main flock are in a coop with a run that is completely covered with chicken wire, so I’m pretty sure nothing could get in. At the moment my silkie is in a cage, which is also completely covered.

Not possible to be fertile without a rooster and breeding.
Why or what do you think you are seeing to make you even think this could be possible?
Never mind my why or what question. Second look at your pic and I seen the spot your seeing. I took it as just light the first glance.
I see where you see the flash, but I’m looking at the lighter yellow bullseye in the center of the egg.

A hen will store the rooster's sperm for a period of time (several days) and as such can continue to lay fertile eggs for a bit even after being separated from the donor rooster. What you're referring to about the bullseye appearance of the blastoderm in the yolk indicating fertilization is correct, but again... No rooster, no fertilization.

Agreed, it does appear fertilized, which means that one of your Sally's is a Samuel.
8D035A44-E5BF-4977-BE8D-3D5C2ABE8BEC.jpeg

These are all of the hens in my main flock and I’m pretty sure they’re all hens since they’ve all started laying.

No, just this one, it’s a habit to call it the main flock Lol. The only other chicken I have is the silkie, which has been separated.
Well I am slightly perplexed as well then, as those do all appear to be pullets if they're red sex links. I suppose the blastodisc could just be larger than normal and not really a blastoderm like @Keeperofmunchkins said.

Back
Top Bottom