Help--Hen not laying and lethargic!

May 7, 2021
Hi everyone, my 8-month old hen has not layed since the day before yesterday. I am very worried about her because she seems lethargic. We recently moved houses so she has been cooped up in a small cage (temporarily). We have let her out and put her in the nest box on several occasions, but she does not seem to want to lay. She also feels considerably heavier, which might mean she has an egg inside of her? Please help!

In her feed she has these round grains (probably millet? Her grain is store bought), and they coming out of her undigested.
Give her some some grit with feed to help digest how’s her crop? Anything weird in the poop other than the grains. I used to get a stick and move the poop when i suspected my hens had worms and sure enough I found small rice sized white little worms moving through if I hadn’t fidgeted with the poop she could have passed if I hadn’t realized she had worms

Moving is stressful for them. Being caged is stressful. The days are short. She is a young pullet.
All those things can delay/stop the laying.

Is she an only bird?
Is she eating /pooping well?

Moving is stressful for them. Being caged is stressful. The days are short. She is a young pullet.
All those things can delay/stop the laying.

Is she an only bird?
Is she eating /pooping well?
Yes, she is an only bird. I don’t think she’s eating very well, but she is pooping regularly. She doesnt seem to want to eat much.

Back
Top Bottom