Help! How did I get Blue Orpington chicks from Lavender

fallbrookchicks

In the Brooder
6 Years
Aug 11, 2013
Ok, I need some help with my genetics. I have a breeding pen with self-blue Lavender hens and a self-blue Lavender Roo and a Black/Black Dun split Roo.

I know that I can't get anything but Black/Split Lavender chicks with the Black Roo, but how am I getting Blue? Is the Dun gene somehow factoring into this? I thought the Dun gene turned things brown.

When the lighter chicks first came out, I thought, great the young Lavender Roo got in there somehow and I have some Lavender chicks. But, as my chicks are feathering out at 3 wks they look blue.
tongue.gif

I'm not totally disappointed, just want to figure it out before I hatch again.

TIA

I for one would like to see some pictures of the lavs that turned out blue once they feathered out, they sound like beautiful birds regardless. I'm lost on the genetics, not sure how the Dun would factor in.

My one thought would be: could your Black/Black Dun have been produced out of a Blue breeding pen? Or any Blue in the genetics? Not sure if that would make a difference or not.

ok, here are pictures of the Black/Black Dun Roo, Lavender Roo and Lavender Hens that were all bred together. Below that is the chick that looks like a Blue Orpington to me. However, the smaller feathers that are just coming in on the close up of the wing look closer to Lavender. Maybe they will change later? Most other Lavender chicks that I see are much, much lighter. Any explanation of what happened genetically would be appreciated.

Is this chick a Blue Orpington or a Lavender?

ok, here are pictures of the Black/Black Dun Roo, Lavender Roo and Lavender Hens that were all bred together. Below that is the chick that looks like a Blue Orpington to me. However, the smaller feathers that are just coming in on the close up of the wing look closer to Lavender. Maybe they will change later? Most other Lavender chicks that I see are much, much lighter. Any explanation of what happened genetically would be appreciated.

Is this chick a Blue Orpington or a Lavender?
she look blue....maybe mauve?

Back
Top Bottom