Help...........hurt Duck>>>need Advice!

laure8929

Hatching
8 Years
Jul 18, 2011
IF someone could please offer me advice, I would greatly appreciate it. My family and I were at a pond we frequently go to visit the ducks and geese two days ago. One of the white pekin ducks had fishing line with the weights still attached wrapped tightly around his leg. We were able to
grab him as he was close to us and I think he recognizes us as we are there a lot. We then removed the line (it was very very tight around his leg but luckily we got it off) . Afterwards, we just let him go. We went back the next day and noticed he was limping. We went back yesterday and noticed he is still limping and the foot looks swollen. Now I am worried...could he have an infection? What should we do. We were thinking of trying to catch him and take him to a vet but it might be very difficult as he is usually in the water. Also, is it possible that the foot will just get better on it's own??? I would hate to see this duck suffer or die from this and I am ready to beat myself up because we had him but let him go after we took the line off. Someone..........PLEASE some advice????

If you can catch the duck, Neosporin on the leg with no pain killer added is good. He should probably be off the leg for a little bit. Does anyone own the ducks, or are they just feral?

Welcome to BYC.
Most likely the duck will need a round of antibiotic injections, penicillin G procaine. I recommend you contact animal control if possible.

No, no one owns them, they were probably abandoned at the pond at one time or another. There are several white pekin ducks and a lot of mallards there. There are also many Canadian Geese that come and go and about 7 or 8 white domesticated geese that are there all the time , along w/the larger ducks. Should we try to catch him? I really want to help him if he needs it.

Back
Top Bottom