Incuviews do a great job. I hatched 13 out of 18 last time. Lower hatch rates now but that has to do with fertility decreasing than the incubator. ( lost my roo) It holds temp well in my experience. I would calibrate both thermometer and hygrometer but I would do that with any incubator. They are usually less than $200 with shipping. I would definitely buy another.

Since eggs are getting to lockdown and not hatching sounds like a possible humidity issue. To high during incubation and chicks possibly drowning.

Edit: or possible air exchange issues

I second the notion you're incubating at far too high humidity level. If the eggs make it to internal pip then die the incubator is doing its job. Your incubating technique is more likely the culprit. Getting a new incubator won't solve the problem.

Salt test to calibrate your hygrometer. Run lower humidity during incubation (first 18-19 days). 30% RH is a good place to start. Then up humidity last few days for hatch to 70% RH.

If you are interested there are great directions for building a coolerbator on the Educational Hatching and Incubating thread in the notes on page one. Lots of opinions if you ask on that thread. BantyChooks is there a lot, and she built one when she was new to hatching.

I would say either our IncuView, a HovaBator 1588, or the new HovaBator 2370...all good choices. The 2370 will be the most economical, it is pretty new still and in my opinion falls right between a 1588 and 1602N. Best of luck on your incubator hunt.

Back
Top Bottom