HELP! I think I feel an egg inside her! *update*

frankenchick

Crowing
15 Years
Apr 20, 2007
Benton Twp., Michigan
We've had Shorty inside for two days, now. She is drinking a little, but not eating. Her poop is solid, black and VERY smelly. I didn't see any urates.

I palpated her abdomen, and on her left side I felt something the size and shape of an egg. Is that what's wrong, or is there something else going on that caused a swelling, or is it all of the above?!

How do I get the egg out if that is the problem? My van got totaled last Weds., so I'll have to arrange transport to get to TSC. Or do I need supplies from the vet? I'm not squeamish about operating, but I need to know just what to do.

Last edited:
Oh. I thought Shorty just went inside yesterday.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=273986

Somewhere on BYC there is a link to pics of chicken poo. I think that might help you a lot with diagnosis. Try doing a search for it, and I will keep trying too. If I find it, I'll post the link.
Hold off on any surgery, the lump could be an egg, a tumor... no telling though.

you're right, Ranchhand, it was yesterday. But yesterday was sooo long, it should count for two. I remember that poop thread; I'll look for it, too.

Shorty is standing up all the time now, and she hasn't drunk any more water.

I don't know if I found THE right one, but I found one!

http://www.chat.allotment.org.uk/index.php?topic=17568.0

I sure hope it helps.
fl.gif

ETA, that's just plain funny coincidence. The administrator who posted those pics is username Aunt Sally. I am an Aunt Sally, and Aunt Sally's Attic is my store name on etsy! It's in my sig line.
th.gif
What are the odds....

Last edited:
I went down to check on Shorty; she was standing and "moaning" (just a low, repetitive sound)in the back corner of the kennel. I reached in to check her abdomen and she backed away from me. I have a heat lamp on her (outside the kennel). If she does need to lay an egg, will not being in the coop deter her? This is the kennel we used when she had babies, so it's not foreign to her.

The tough thing about figuring this out is that none of the girls have been laying regularly since the days became so short. We've been getting 1 egg/day per 12 pullets/hens; I just put in a light for them to lengthen their days. So . . . it's hard to guess how long this egg has been in her (if in fact that's what I felt).

Thanks, RH, for the link. It wasn't the same one I was thinking of, but it was -- er -- enlightening. And was a perfect lunchtime accompaniment to the refried beans I was eating.
sickbyc.gif

Last edited:
Have you done a search for "eggbound"? If she is uncomfortable from having an egg stuck, there are things that you can do to help. When this happened to my girl I held her in a tub of warm water for a half hour (making sure that her vent and tummy were in the water) and she laid an the moment after I took her out, and then again a few minutes later. I also fed her one TUMS mixed in with a small amount of mash and yogurt. She hated the bath, but really enjoyed getting blown dry afterwards!

I hope Shorty is OK!

Quote:
OH NO! So sorry- I started to say something about the rather graphic pics, because it kinda unsettled my lunch too.
sickbyc.gif

The warm bath and blow-dry might be good, it probably can't hurt.

I'm going to try the warm bath. Gotta do it before the snowstorm hits and the power quits!

Oooh, I just love winter.
tongue.gif

ETA: Shorty seemed to enjoy the warm bath. As the water ran out, she kept hunkering lower, as if to stay in as long as possible. She was very good for the blow-dry, too (even ate a few bits of dry food from DH's hand).

The moment I got her into the kennel, she let go a huge, stinky poop. I didn't feel that lump in her abdomen this evening. I am praying that an egg didn't go pop inside her, though it seems it would've come out with the poo. Or would it?

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom