I also wanted to state that it has grown in size from day 14 to day 18, and when I candled on day 18 it still had veining, no movement, maybe it was asleep? Doesn't matter as long as it hatches.

If the janoel 10 is anything like the janoel 12, you definitely can’t trust the built in thermometer. I’ve got 2 of the 12s and they read very differently from each other and from my additional thermometers that I calibrated and put in there. It’s not going to help you with this hatch but it’s a very good idea to get one - a lot of us on here use the ones with a probe meant for reptiles, which usually are cheap and relatively easy to calibrate.

it’s difficult to see in still images and even to compare what you’re seeing to pictures you find as reference when candling eggs. Generally I don’t look too hard for veins that late in the game either because a lot of the time the egg is too full. If you see movement or fluttering against the air cell, or even feel the chick moving in there when you pick it up, it’s alive. If it doesn’t smell bad or having nasty things oozing out of it, cross your fingers and proceed with lockdown as expected. And then wait. And wait. 🤣

If the janoel 10 is anything like the janoel 12, you definitely can’t trust the built in thermometer. I’ve got 2 of the 12s and they read very differently from each other and from my additional thermometers that I calibrated and put in there. It’s not going to help you with this hatch but it’s a very good idea to get one - a lot of us on here use the ones with a probe meant for reptiles, which usually are cheap and relatively easy to calibrate.

it’s difficult to see in still images and even to compare what you’re seeing to pictures you find as reference when candling eggs. Generally I don’t look too hard for veins that late in the game either because a lot of the time the egg is too full. If you see movement or fluttering against the air cell, or even feel the chick moving in there when you pick it up, it’s alive. If it doesn’t smell bad or having nasty things oozing out of it, cross your fingers and proceed with lockdown as expected. And then wait. And wait. 🤣
Thanks

I just wanted to also know from what day a chick starts to pip through the shell? Also speaking from anyone's own experience with hatching eggs.

If the temperature is spot on (99.5F/37.5C) all the way through incubation with perhaps an occasional brief cooling and all other conditions are ideal, i.e. turning, humidity, storage time and conditions, good breeder nutrition et al., chicken eggs should fully hatch in exactly 21 days. That would have them pipping early on the 21st day if not late on the 20th day.

This morning I woke up to find out that the chick had pipped a small hole into the shell. I just wanted to know whether is was ok for the chick to pip on the side of the egg, please see below images.

IMG_20200820_083345.jpg

IMG_20200820_112654.jpg

While not normal or ideal, I've had plenty of chicks pip on the side or the wrong end.
Sometimes the air cell draw down is low enough they can be in the air cell and proper position but still on the side.
Mispositioned embryos, if that is what it is, is usually inadquate turning through incubation.
Other causes are:
Eggs set small end up or in horizontal position.
Inadequate or improper turning.
High or low incubator temperature.
High humidity.
Old breeders.
Round-shaped eggs or very large eggs.
Nutritional deficiencies, especially vitamin A and vitamin B12.
Eggs handled or stored improperly.
Retarded development.

Here is my chick. Fully hatched 2 days ago at around 7-8pm.

IMG_20200820_183735.jpg

IMG_20200822_142345.jpg

IMG_20200822_142310.jpg
IMG_20200821_155950.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20200821_155950.jpg
    IMG_20200821_155950.jpg
    236.7 KB · Views: 1

Back
Top Bottom