Help! lethargic chick with bald bum

Kris5902

Enabler
5 Years
Oct 12, 2018
i just picked up some chicks that are about 5 days old. I’m on the way home and noticed two of the chick are significantly smaller than the others and one is very lethargic and has a completely bald bottom. The vent seems clear but it has a slightly distended and down less behind... I’m trying to get it to drink but so far it hasn’t... any help or suggestions on what this might be and how to address it?

image.jpg

I managed to get it to take a little water... they have been in transit since 7 am with a heat pad and wet mash, I still have three more hours of travel to go. Most of the chicks are shunning my eco-glow heater, but little baldie is right under it.

I would try to give it chick starter electrolytes. These make the chicks healthier and more energetic. If you can find it.
I will be adding it to the water as soon as I get them home, I’ve just given them some emergency water now that I’m on a ferry and we aren’t driving because I was worried about dehydration and they are almost out of mash

I would maybe quarantine her but make sure she has food and water and enough heat and enough shade if she gets to hot and vise versa. This happened to us before and when we checked up on her in the morning she was up and running about but we never had anything like bald bottom hopefully this works for you!

It’s very large and perfectly round, no signs of pasty butt, one of the others has a tiny bit of poop stuck to the rump. I will be keeping a close eye on it. Since they are all falling asleep and I got some water into it I’m going to let it rest a bit.
Since you got some water into it and all the others are going to sleep, I agree, let her rest with the others.
I wouldn't isolate a chick at this time unless they are being injured/bullied.
You're doing all you can right now. You get some rest while they are sleeping too:hugs

Back
Top Bottom