Help, Looking for information on Pennsylvania Laws

Discussion in 'Pheasants and Partridge (Chukar)' started by kbgh, Mar 4, 2011.

1. kbgh

kbgh Chillin' With My Peeps

We want to keep ornamental pheasants and quail, but can't seem to find out if Pa has any permit requirementass for non-game species. Does anyone have experience with this. Thanks

2. aprophet

aprophet Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 12, 2010
    chesapeake Va.
    Last edited: Mar 5, 2011
  3. Jmiller429

Jmiller429 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 24, 2010
    Bedford co. PA
    for ornamental pheasants you do not need a permit, theres some technicalitys regarding ringnecks, call the PGC for the exact answer. Cotournix do not require permits, bobwhite i'd check on. I do know for sure you cannot turn ringnecks/ bobwhite quail loose.

4. kbgh

kbgh Chillin' With My Peeps

Yhanks to you both. I was pretty sure we did not need them, but it never hurts to ask. Kerry

5. Jmiller429

Jun 24, 2010
    Bedford co. PA
    you dont have a source for some ornamental pheasants in Pa do you? Ive having a terrible time locating any, other than the Mount Hope, OHIO sale at the end of the month.

6. Tony K T

Tony K T Overrun With Chickens

Jul 28, 2008
    New Hampshire
    Try Don Hungsinger in Montrose or Bill Llyod in Marion Center.
    In N.H.,Tony.
    Quote:

7. Jmiller429

Jun 24, 2010
    Bedford co. PA
    thanks tony.

8. tonini3059

tonini3059 [IMG]emojione/assets/png/2665.png?v=2.2.7[/IMG]Luv

Nov 6, 2008
    Southwestern PA
    To the best of my knowledge the ornamental pheasants do not need any permits. The bobwhites do not need permits to keep but if you are planning on selling them then you need a permit. I am not sure of the coturnix. I would think that you do not need a permit to have or sell but am not sure. I have tried to call the game commision and can never get a good answer. I called and they didn't know what ornamental pheasants were and I called about wood ducks. They told me that I needed state and federal propagators permits just to own them, which I found out is not true.
    P.S. I sent you another PM yesterday, not sure if you got it or not.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by