Help Me Choose My Coop Location!!

KMJonzy

In the Brooder
Jan 16, 2019
Northern Montana
I originally planned to put my coop where the green spot is on the below picture. This is right in our yard, super convenient to the house and right next to a water source.

Coop Location.jpg

The red spot indicates another possible location. This spot is obviously farther away from the house, and it's a bit farther from a water source (though not incredibly so). There is a concrete pad where the red spot is, so we could secure the coop to that for a concrete floor. The green spot would put the coop placed directly on the ground. Another benefit of the red spot is that we'd have the large shed behind it as one "wall" of the run, and I feel like it would be very secure.

My holdup on the red spot is just the convenience factor of not having the coop right in the yard. For those of you with experience, how much should location convenience factor in versus the benefits the further away location provides?

Everyone's need is different. That said if I was going to be over by the shop every day, that's where I'd put it, as long as the chickens weren't the reason for me to head to the shop.
I like the idea of the cement pad. No worries about digging predators.

One drawback of the coop that far away is if a predator happens to get inside, your not going to hear anything. Although you might not hear anything if it's closer to the house either.
x2

This winter trudging through the snow and especially penguin walking on the ice, with water has been an issue.. as is the mud now.

Everyone's need is different. That said if I was going to be over by the shop every day, that's where I'd put it, as long as the chickens weren't the reason for me to head to the shop.
I like the idea of the cement pad. No worries about digging predators.

One drawback of the coop that far away is if a predator happens to get inside, your not going to hear anything. Although you might not hear anything if it's closer to the house either.

Thanks! I don't generally go to the shop, so it would definitely be a "special trip" situation if the coop were there. I hadn't thought about not hearing a predator, either - thanks for mentioning that!

I think I'm leaning toward the green spot, even though I probably would have to give up the cement pad and shop wall as a side of the run.

x2

This winter trudging through the snow and especially penguin walking on the ice, with water has been an issue.. as is the mud now.

I hear you... as you can see by the picture, we definitely got snow/ice/water. We're in north-central Montana so winters are rough here. I'd definitely like to limit my "commute" to the coop in those months!

If all things are equal (i.e. no drainage issues) then either spot is fine, though *I* like convenience.

A concrete pad is a bonus but if that's the deciding factor you could just put one down where green is...

Thanks, I'm leaning toward the more convenient green location as well. My husband has told me we *could* move the existing concrete pad if I really want to, but it will require a couple days of substantial work to make it happen. I'm leaning toward foregoing the pad and using my original (green) coop location.

We're in north-central Montana so winters are rough here.
Winter access is definitely something to consider!
As is power for winter water heating...and supplemental lighting if you choose to use it.

My husband has told me we *could* move the existing concrete pad if I really want to
Really!?
Actually move it or pour a new one?

Here's how to add your general geographical location to your profile.
It's easy to do, (laptop version shown), then it's always there!
upload_2019-3-20_10-55-27.png

Is power to the coop important? If so, another plus for the shop location.

Good call! Yes, power to the coop is important, but we'll be able to have power from either location. We've wired the coop for electric. For the green location, we can temporarily run a power cord from the house to the exterior coop outlet (which powers the other outlets in the coop). Longer term (like, next year) we'd run a cord underground from the house. It would definitely be a little more ready-made for power out by the shop - there's an exterior shop outlet right by the concrete pad.

Really!?
Actually move it or pour a new one?

This is what hubby tells me... We live on a pretty large farm (4,000 acres) and apparently several buildings, pads, etc have been moved around here over the years. He says it takes brute strength, heavy equipment and patience. I'm leaning toward just putting it on the dirt in the green location, though. Apparently I lack that patience part... plus I'd have to wait for ground thaw, and I'll need the coop in place before then.

Back
Top Bottom