Welcome! Get a thermometer under your heat source; it should be about 95F there, and cooler to room temperature at the other end of the brooder. Too hot, and the chicks will be away from the heat. Too cold, and they will huddle in the warmest spot.
A red heat lamp is best!
After making sure that the temp. is okay, you shouldn't need that thermometer any more, because the chicks will show you how they are feeling.
Does everyone know how to drink out of the waterer and where the food is? I scatter some chick starter around the pen at first, so they all eat something.
I hope things are going well now.
Mary

Well we left for about 3hrs and when we came back it was laying in the ground still breathing but it’s barely alive and she keeps doing a gasping thing with her mouth and won’t keep her head up or even keep her eyes open oh and yes they know how to drink out of the waterer and eat out of the food dish

Last edited:
th0TIAQJTH.jpg
Welcome to BYC I'm sorry for your loss . When ever I buy Hatchery chicks form a second party . I will put them on this for five to seven days just as precaution. one quarter teaspoon per QT. or mix it in till it is the color of lime Gatorade . Mix fresh every day . Feed store chick even though they are not allowed to be touched are exposed to whatever comes close to them . How many people sterilize themselves before going to the feed store ? Most likely none .Tractor Supply and our farmers CO-OP carries durvet . Seal in a ziplock bag after opening to .

Last edited:
In my limited experience, water is extremely important. I had a chick go down hill on me about day 3-4. I got some nutridrench and Polyvisol (infant drops) and was giving her regular drops through the day and then dropped water into mouth a few times a day until she wouldn't take any more. It took a few days of this routine to perk back up. Some chicks know where food and water is... others just need a little assistance from us. Keep an eye on the rest of them and make sure they stay hydrated, active and warm.

So sorry! As April said, some chicks just don't find the water, or food. Dip every chick's beak in the waterer when they arrive so they know that's water.
I NEVER treat birds with antibiotics unless there's an overwhelming need!!! It's a very bad idea to do 'prophylactic' antibiotics in the face of health.
Mary

Back
Top Bottom