Help My Bunny Isnt Eating Pooping And Hardly Moving.....gaaaahhhh!!!!

Chiko

Songster
9 Years
Nov 25, 2010
Orem, Utah.
WE WERE GIVEN A NEW RABBIT 10 DAYS AGO AND SHE WAS DOING FINE UNTIL DAY 3 SHE STARTED GETTING SUPER THIN EVEN THOUGH THERE WAS ALWAYS ENOUGH FOOD. TODAY I WENT OUT AND SAW HER JUST SITTING THERE WITH HER EYES CLOSED YOU CAN FEEL HER SPINE AND RIBS WHEN YOU PICK HER UP AND SHES LOSING ALOT OF ENERGY IM REALLY WORRIED ABOUT HER IS THERE ANYTHING I CAN DO!?
barnie.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
It can get really bad,I know.
First I would offer hay.Here's other things to try.Sunflower seeds.Rolled oats.Dry oatmeal.A piece of apple.
You are trying to find something she will eat to try to keep her from shutting down.Try pineapple and if it is drinking water mix some pineapple juice with it.
Try a piece of raw sweet potato.A slice of banana peel and all.
Rabbits can be hard to deal with but I think I've heard of giving them Nutrical also.I've never tried that because I think it would be too hard.When you try something just put a small amount in a bowl or crock.If you put a lot it will be hard to know if much was eaten if any.
I know in the past if I've had a sick puppy or kitten that I am working with I have even counted the pieces of dry food I offer so I will know if any was eaten.This was in addition to the hand feeding I was doing.
I know rabbits are harder and different.It might be possible that you could mix up some baby oatmeal with water and force feed it.That I don't know and it would take a lot of determination.If you try that wrap the bunny up firmly in a towel to prevent struggling.Do it slowly so as not to choke the bunny and have patience,
I wish you luck.

Stress can cause what is called ileus in rabbits. It IS life threatening. You need to get her to a veterinarian ASAP. There are medications that they can give her to try to get her gut moving again, but time is of the essence. A non-eating rabbit can become a dead rabbit VERY quickly.
hugs.gif

Get her warm, if you have a water bottle with her, give her a bowl of water or reverse. Some rabbits learn to drink from one or the other and don't know how to drink when they get the new one. Also check for hair in the throat. If they have any, try using tweezers to remove, and feed Papaya pills. That will help break up the hair. Good luck!

use a syringe, to give ger gatorade. If you can replace her electrolytes and spike her blood sugar she may begin to move. I have saved many animals fom kittens to ducks, to dogs with gatorade and time.

I meant my time. not the bunnies time. and if done correctly you are giving the rabit more time, with the ultimate goal of a long and natural lifespan.

Back
Top Bottom