Help my chicken was attacked (photos attached)

Pics

MSeubert

In the Brooder
Oct 15, 2020
we recently got chickens and when we got home last night one was missing. A hawk had tried to attack one of them the other day so I thought that the missing hen was killed because She never ended up coming back and wasn’t around this morning either. I opted to leave the other chickens locked up today because I didn’t want to lose another, but I just came home from work now today she was sitting outside the coop waiting for me. She appears to have a really deep wound in her back that to me almost looks like a bone has been broken and if I put my hand over the area every time she l exhales I can feel warm air coming out and actually hear a puff of air. If anyone has a suggestion of what to do for her I’m all ears. She’s currently eating and drinking fine and the area isn’t bleeding.

Attachments

• 12318EB1-71DC-4A22-9999-F68410340032.png
    12318EB1-71DC-4A22-9999-F68410340032.png
    3.9 MB · Views: 31
  • BB66ADCA-ED4D-4E53-8352-14E2A046ACBD.png
    BB66ADCA-ED4D-4E53-8352-14E2A046ACBD.png
    3.7 MB · Views: 24
I am very sorry about your chicken being attacked. Chickens can be very tough.
First of all, Immediately bring her inside and clean up the wound with plain soap and tepid water, Normal saline or a diluted Iodine wash. If you have any of these please do it now. Then cut awy all the feathers possible and take more pictures of her wound. While waiting for a response, mix up some scrambled egg and give her a drink of electrolytes. I'll be standing by.

I am very sorry about your chicken being attacked. Chickens can be very tough.
First of all, Immediately bring her inside and clean up the wound with plain soap and tepid water, Normal saline or a diluted Iodine wash. If you have any of these please do it now. Then cut awy all the feathers possible and take more pictures of her wound. While waiting for a response, mix up some scrambled egg and give her a drink of electrolytes. I'll be standing by.

Checking in.
It is very important to flush the wound to get as much of the bacteria out as possible. Then cut the feathers OFF so you can clearly see the wound and take pictures of the wound. We need this in order to assess the depth and damage. Keep her warm and if need be wrap her in a clean dry towel. I am not sure of the supplies you have on hand but use the chlorahexadine if you have it. DO NOT use Peroxide or anything with a numbing agent in it.

Back
Top Bottom