Help! My duckling's poop is hunter green! (pics)

Deborah M

In the Brooder
Mar 30, 2020
Hello all. This is my first time posting, I will try to give all relevant info.

I purchased 4 ducklings a week and a half ago, 2 pekins and 2 ancona.

My littlest duckling is an ancona and has recently started pooping what looks like a vibrant (vs dull) hunter/forest green verging on a really dark teal. It's not lime or mint green like I have seen in other posts. This started sometime yesterday morning or the night before that. The duckling is otherwise acting completely normal. It has always been the smallest one but also always the most curious and brave and continues to be that way.

My concern yesterday was that it may be impacted due to my adding pine shavings to their enclosure so i quickly changed their litter. This morning I saw only one of the green poops in the litter and was hopeful that whatever it was had passed. I let them have their daily bath and monitored for the duckling's poop. Once it pooped in the water and it looked clear/a little cloudy like maybe it was mucous and that was it. A little bit later it pooped again and it seemed a little watery but more like the usual dark tan poop like the other ones. I was excited! Came back to check on them just now and more dark green poop. I watched and it was the same duckling (the others are pooping like always). But then I watched it poop again and it was more in line with what the others are doing.

I have been feeding them a flock raiser crumble with nutrional yeast mixed in. In the last 5 days I have introduced them to both red and green cabbage and they go bonkers over it. That's all they have had access to besides a towel that I took away 2 days ago because I was worried they were eating it.

Below are pics I took to try and capture the color. It isnt a dull dark green like it appears in the pic, its really vibrant and it's hard to capture it with the lighting I have. It looks a little wetter today but yesterday it seemed weirdly dry. Some got into their food dish and it shows the color a little better. There is one image where the poop looks like it blends in with the litter, that was the poop the duckling did not long after pooping the dark green. If I am able to capture the color better I will post it.

Any suggestions? What has me extra puzzled, but hopeful, is that there has been no change in appetite/hydration/behavior.
IMG_20200331_114114208.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20200331_113625780.jpg
    IMG_20200331_113625780.jpg
    807.4 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_20200331_114102485 (1).jpg
    IMG_20200331_114102485 (1).jpg
    699.8 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_20200331_114125456.jpg
    IMG_20200331_114125456.jpg
    843.3 KB · Views: 9
If the ducks have recently have eaten something brightly colored it will show up in the poop, ive had some big scares from feeding them watermelon. Did you recently feed them greens?

Green is a sign of infection also...
@Miss Lydia

Last edited:
If ducks recent have eaten something brightly colored it will show up in the poop, ive had some big scares from feeding them watermelon. Did you recently feed them greens?

Green is a sign of infection also...
@Miss Lydia

I have only fed them cabbage (red and green).

Here is another pic I took of the poop. It's actually quite blue! When I mushed the poo it looked like there was little bits that caught the light almost like sugar crystals do (except these look more like flakes not sugar crystals). The texture is mealy.

Attachments

• IMG_20200331_181550587.jpg
    IMG_20200331_181550587.jpg
    241 KB · Views: 8
I know red cabbage will make chicken poop a weird green color.....

Oh really? That would make me feel a lot better. None if the other ducklings have poo like this though. I was wondering if the red cabbage had something to do with it but couldn't figure out how that red/purple would end up green, lol

@casportpony is a duck poop expert, Shes also pretty busy on her but hopefully she checks these pictures out

Veggies color can pass through the system and look plain weird. i whent to the hospital one time after eating a jar of beats... i was fine haha

@casportpony is a duck poop expert, Shes also pretty busy on her but hopefully she checks these pictures out

Veggies color can pass through the system and look plain weird. i whent to the hospital one time after eating a jar of beats... i was fine haha
Hahahaha! Thanks, I needed to laugh, I'm a first time duck mom and freaking out.

Thanks all. I will stop with the cabbage and report back tomorrow evening. I am thinking it must be the food, the duckling is acting normal otherwise. Fingers crossed because I'm pretty fond of that tough and assertive little puff.

Back
Top Bottom