Help, my Ducks are sick

ToniRenne

Hatching
Dec 10, 2019
Hi all. So i have 3 ducks, 2 for the past three years, and one for 6. This afternoon I found one had passed away. This was a complete shock to me because they were lively and fine up until this.... well I was bathing the other two ducks (they’re kept indoors), and when I put them back in their pen they both started acting very strange, like they couldn’t walk and was laying their heads back into their bodies and putting their wings to the side like seizing out. My oldest is 6 yrs old, and he managed to vomit all the food that he had just ate, and they won’t eat or drink anything else. I’ve tried water but they want to be left alone it seems... I gave them both some niacin in hopes it will help, but they have been on antibiotics for Bumblefoot for two weeks so I don’t know if it’s a virus of sorts. Please any help!

It sounds like some sort of poisoning. Besides the antibiotic, is there anything else that you've given them that they don't normally have? If not, then the antibiotic itself may be the culprit. I would call the number that the drug company provides on the drug package and talk to them about what's happening to these ducks. You may discover that the lot was contaminated and recalled, unfortunately after you purchased it.

It sounds like some sort of poisoning. Besides the antibiotic, is there anything else that you've given them that they don't normally have? If not, then the antibiotic itself may be the culprit. I would call the number that the drug company provides on the drug package and talk to them about what's happening to these ducks. You may discover that the lot was contaminated and recalled, unfortunately after you purchased it.

I’m not sure what it could be. It’s just me and my boyfriend that lives here and I’m the only one that feeds them so I think it could only be the amoxicillin. Should I try a different antibiotic for the Bumblefoot?

Call the number on the package and talk to a rep. This will either answer our questions or it will rule out the meds as the cause.

Two weeks is long enough for the ducks to have been on amox. You can quit giving it to them in any case.

Back
Top Bottom