Help! My Momma Pekin Duck Daisy is Missing. What do I do with her Eggs?

I agree, still at least a week to go. Hang in there!

The air cell will continue to dip, but you will know when they are getting closer to hatch when the air cell actually changes shape and “draws down”

These two pics are consecutive days, first before drawdown, then after. This is when the humidity definitely needs increased. I am also incubating a couple of eggs that a duck decided to abandon. I cranked up the humidity this morning, they havent drawn down yet, but the eggs are fully dark, with very little clear/veiny areas. So watch for that also.
081C8005-9CE7-4462-B508-F0C533271120.jpeg
69C92D3B-5069-4CCE-9140-730B7C4B9925.jpeg

I have an internal pip!!! I was checking the eggs just now for morning check, and as I was looking at one I heard peeps! I realized it wasnt the one I was holding and went on to the next one and sure enough, there was a little beak in the air sac peeping away!! I put it back and added more water to the incubator to raise the humidity and laid a rag under the eggs. I am officially on lockdown. I'm not sure about the other eggs, theyre still alive and active, and really close, so I'm hoping they all start pipping soon too. I will have ducklings soon!! Just thought I'd share the excitement. This is my first duckling hatch!

Progress! Its been 24 hours. I found a guide on here for helping them hatch just in case so I knew what to do and she recommended to put a safe hole to garantee no suffocation. So I did. Woke up this morning to a crack and part of the shell coming up, so I think we've officially hit external pipping. One other egg has internally pipped but the others are right behind, I can see them pushing on the air sac, but no peeps or pecking yet. So excited. I am the worst at waiting, I'm so impatient. I cannot wait to see them!

Attachments

• 248395154_5004416539586652_6407815477900461054_n.jpg
    248395154_5004416539586652_6407815477900461054_n.jpg
    30.6 KB · Views: 1
Just don't get ahead of them when it comes to helping. Ducklings are notoriously slowpokes when it comes to hatching.

Is this the one your talking about?
https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/guide-to-assisted-hatching-for-all-poultry.72886/
Yes, that was the one. I know, I'm not doing anything other than the safe hole. I dont want to do anything to hurt them. I just find myself sitting there and watching them jiggle and peep for long periods of time lol. I have to peel myself away to get house work done and cook! haha. How much peeping is normal? Is it normal to not hear them very often at all? Just the two so far. One I havent heard peep at all, but is pecking away in there. The other is peeping and pecking.

I'm so excited for you. When I had egg hatching, I had to set my timer every two hours for a peek, otherwise I would have just pulled up a chair. Patience. Try to imagine how hard it is to break out of a shell with a little beak, while squished into a ball shape.
Darn - now I'm going to have to set my timer so I don't stay here waiting for news.

I'm so excited for you. When I had egg hatching, I had to set my timer every two hours for a peek, otherwise I would have just pulled up a chair. Patience. Try to imagine how hard it is to break out of a shell with a little beak, while squished into a ball shape.
Darn - now I'm going to have to set my timer so I don't stay here waiting for news
Haha! Maybe this is just the universe's way of teaching me to be more patient lol! Still little progress on egg 1. More cracks and some popping up, but no duckling yet. I will post another update in the morning. :D

Back
Top Bottom