Help my new baby chicken wont Stand!

LauraBeth0513

Hatching
5 Years
Oct 17, 2014
I just got 16 baby chickens on Wed morning. Everyone was fine last night but this morning one of them wont stand. I know he can because when I separated him and dunked his beak in sugar water he stood up all mad and tilted his beak up to drink but other than that he just lays there and peeps or just lays there and sleeps :( I'm worried!

Last edited:
I dunked his beak in the sugar water a couple more times and now he is drinking it on his own. drinking a lot. maybe he just got dehydrated? I will update if he makes any changes. advice still requested please!!!

If you can get or make some electrolytes, and dunk his beak much of today, it may be helpful. The sugar water may have been enough, but they can get very stressed in shipping. SaveAChick vitamins with electrolytes is good to add to the water for a day or two, and here is a homemade recipe for electrolytes:

HOMEMADE ELECTROLYTE SOLUTION
1/2 teaspoon salt substitute
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon table salt
1 tablespoon sugar
1 gallon water
Salt substitute

Thank you I went and bought sav a chic but the poor little guy had passed by time I got home :(
At least I have it now and am thinking about going ahead and giving it to my survivors. Should I do that or is it an emergency type of thing only?

If one chick was stressed from shipping, then others could be. It won't hurt to give it to them for 1 day. If any seem weak or are not active, eating and drinking, then treat an extra day, and dip beaks into the water often. Sorry for your loss.

Back
Top Bottom