HELP!!! MY QUAIL HASA LUMP ON HIS NOSE AND IS ALMOST COVERING ITS NOSTRILS

Can someone tell me what this lump or bump is on my quail and if I should be worried about it??!

• Help me

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I am worried for my quail

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Pics
I understand that not everyone has the space to commit to raising animals... I’m sorry that you have gotten into this when you’re not quite able to provide for them. It’s one thing to take on an animal, and another to adequately sustain them in a humane and responsible manner.

I really do feel sorry for your situation, and empathize with you. But these animals are now in your care and are your responsibility. If you cannot expand their housing and provide him with more girls, look into rehoming them both with someone who can. Some animals need to be housed with outside access for their health and well-being. Quail are not good indoor only “pets”.

Going forward I would suggest fully researching any animals you are considering before taking them on... there’s a couple that live near me that took in a runt piglet, they have raised it as a pet, when all it’s siblings were raised as bacon. They are now at over 120 lbs of pig that isn’t really social, bites, and is only going to get bigger.

It’s not an uncommon mistake, and it’s very understandable. How you correct it is what is important. Do what is best for your birds, and you will probably realize that it is also what is best for you! OHope you are able to resolve this quickly for both you and your birds.

Oh boy, I really feel for you. Sounds like you really love your quails.

I had 2 ladies in with my 1 boy, it was peace & harmony for a while, then he started driving them crazy, and they were scrambling to escape him. I did seperate them, ( I only have 2 girls old enough to be mated ) he was very miserable. So much so, that he is now in my freezer.

Moving forward.. this is my suggestions..

You could try putting some lanolin, or vaseline on the back of the hens neck each day, to give her some peace?

Is there any way the 2 pens you have could be joined together? If not, just stick with the biggest one.

Can you give them some dirt or sand? Just in a bowl, or container (you can get it from garden or wherever). They love love love bathing in it.

If you could maybe get some branches or sticks? Some things to provide hidey places in their little house? Small cardboard boxes, old pots etc. That'd help make them happier. (I'll be totally honest here, after reading a few threads, I need to add some extra sticks and branches for my quailies)

If you have any bits of fruit (they love apple), or leafy veggies like spinach or lettuce, peg it on the cage so they can peck at it. They really enjoy it.

Hope that helps! Good luck, and I hope his little lump heals.

Oh boy, I really feel for you. Sounds like you really love your quails.

I had 2 ladies in with my 1 boy, it was peace & harmony for a while, then he started driving them crazy, and they were scrambling to escape him. I did seperate them, ( I only have 2 girls old enough to be mated ) he was very miserable. So much so, that he is now in my freezer.

Moving forward.. this is my suggestions..

You could try putting some lanolin, or vaseline on the back of the hens neck each day, to give her some peace?

Is there any way the 2 pens you have could be joined together? If not, just stick with the biggest one.

Can you give them some dirt or sand? Just in a bowl, or container (you can get it from garden or wherever). They love love love bathing in it.

If you could maybe get some branches or sticks? Some things to provide hidey places in their little house? Small cardboard boxes, old pots etc. That'd help make them happier.

If you have any bits of fruit (they love apple), or leafy veggies like spinach or lettuce, peg it on the cage so they can peck at it. They really enjoy it.

Hope that helps! Good luck, and I hope his little lump heals.
:bow These are really good ideas.

Actually - hair conditioner or body moisturiser might also work - if you don't have lanolin or vasaline handy. I haven't tried them (only lanolin), the idea is that is it slippery but also stays in the hens feathers. So when the male tries to mate he gets a beak full of yuck and decides to leave her alone.

I think it helps if you view your quail house kinda like your own bedroom. You'd be a whole lot happier with some furniture and maybe some company, so would they (fortunately they don't want a tv :gig). You don't have to spend money, just get creative with whatever you've got. Keep your eye out if you see things like millet sprays (and they are affordable), they are good fun to peck at if pegged inside the cage.

And one last thought.. If you are your family are eating eggs, save the egg shells. Give them a rinse and let them dry. Crush them up with the back of a spoon, and offer it with the quails food. It acts kinda like teeth in their digestive system, helps them grind up their food. They will only eat it if they feel like they 'need' it. It also helps mumma quail, she uses a lot of calcium making eggs in her body, so it helps her replenish that.

Back
Top Bottom