Help! My rooster can't stand

ChickenMa18

In the Brooder
Jun 18, 2019
Help! The other day I noticed when my rooster was eating he would lay down, when I walked up to him he would attempt to run off but would stumble while running and ran slower.

I separated him thinking may be he just got cold because he free ranges and refuses the coop. I put him in a large cage in my shed with plenty of food, water and bedding to keep warm. Checked on him throughout the day and he was the same.
Went out the next morning at feeding time to check on him and he wouldn't stand up. His legs work, he kicks when I mess with his feet and when he tries to get away from me but he cannot hold any weight on his legs.

He is eating and drinking fine from what I can tell and he doesn't seem to have lost any weight... i have treated for scales leg mites.. I'm not sure what else to treat for and I am really hoping it is not Mereks.

And help would be amazing! THANKS!

***EDIT***
Added photos of his legs, poop, and face/eye

Attachments

• 20210111_133317.jpg
    20210111_133317.jpg
    847.1 KB · Views: 27
  • 20210111_133259.jpg
    20210111_133259.jpg
    660.1 KB · Views: 9
  • 20210111_133240.jpg
    20210111_133240.jpg
    690 KB · Views: 9
Last edited:
I'm not sure what else to treat for and I am really hoping it is not Mereks.
Hi there and welcome to BYC! :frow

Sorry your fella is having trouble. :(

Please tell his age, feed routine including treats and supplements? Was he vaccinated against Marek's? Where did you get him and how long have you had him, IOW is he a new addition or do you have other new recent additions? Ever have to treat for severe coccidiosis when younger? What breed? How many flock mates, confined or free roaming? How do the eyes look.. clear normal iris?

Marek's is highly possible.. depending on some of your answers like age and vaccine status.

Please add your general location to your profile so folks can make their best suggestion possible if you're able.

More Q's.. can you feel any heat or swelling in the legs or feet, see any bruising or cuts. You might be one of the first who didn't mention thinking it's an injury or vitamin deficit.. have you had other birds present or pass from unknown cause in the past? Is there any pain response.. like pulling away from actual discomfort not just anxiety?

If you're interested in attempting to get Marek's ruled in or out without euthanizing and sending for necropsy.. then I wonder if @azygous can share where she got her test kit to send to the lab or how to do that??

Hopefully you won't get there but if needed here are links to the state poultry labs for necropsy testing if inside the US..

State poultry labs

A couple other members who might have feedback to offer.. @Eggcessive and @Wyorp Rock I know are called on WAY often and highly appreciated!

:fl

I would check his legs for bruising beneath his feathers. He may have been injured in one or both legs if it isn't Mareks. I recently had a Cornish X pullet injure her leg, she made a recovery after it was put in a sling and she was separated for almost a week. You can also dissolve one aspirin or acetaminophen in 10oz of water and give him a few milliliters of it for pain to help him. My girl is only about 4 lbs right now (due to careful feeding and feed restriction to prevent heart and leg issues), and she got 4ml of the little pain med solution. Depending on his weight you can give him more or less. I suggest getting a little medical syringe. I use a cat medicine syringe.

Hi there and welcome to BYC! :frow

Sorry your fella is having trouble. :(

Please tell his age, feed routine including treats and supplements? Was he vaccinated against Marek's? Where did you get him and how long have you had him, IOW is he a new addition or do you have other new recent additions? Ever have to treat for severe coccidiosis when younger? What breed? How many flock mates, confined or free roaming? How do the eyes look.. clear normal iris?

Marek's is highly possible.. depending on some of your answers like age and vaccine status.

Please add your general location to your profile so folks can make their best suggestion possible if you're able.

More Q's.. can you feel any heat or swelling in the legs or feet, see any bruising or cuts. You might be one of the first who didn't mention thinking it's an injury or vitamin deficit.. have you had other birds present or pass from unknown cause in the past? Is there any pain response.. like pulling away from actual discomfort not just anxiety?

If you're interested in attempting to get Marek's ruled in or out without euthanizing and sending for necropsy.. then I wonder if @azygous can share where she got her test kit to send to the lab or how to do that??

Hopefully you won't get there but if needed here are links to the state poultry labs for necropsy testing if inside the US..

State poultry labs

A couple other members who might have feedback to offer.. @Eggcessive and @Wyorp Rock I know are called on WAY often and highly appreciated!

:fl

We got him as a chick, this May will make him 2 years old. He was sold to us as an EE but looks Barred Rock. He was not vaccinated against anything. He never had coccidiosis. He was on medicated chick feed until about 6m, has since been on a diet consisting of no nutrients added laying feed (for my hens), peanuts and various fruits and veggies. He free roams also so not sure what else he gets into. We have 3 other chickens and 3 Guineas that free range also. There are no injuries that I could see on him and there was nothing wrong with him the day before I noticed him stumbling and laying down to eat.
There is no swelling or heat coming from his legs. Also, his eyes look normal.

We have had one silkie roo added to our collection recently but he has been in a cage separated from our all others.

My son lost two of this cream leg bars (both from a feed store/hatchery) but his other two CLB (from a breeder) have been perfectly fine. The two that died did so about 2 months apart and had been fine up until the day they passed. When they passed they just looked off, kept to themselves, had no interest in food/water and had pale combs. Of the two that died the last one passed about a month ago. We arent sure what happened to them but chalked it up to bad genes or over breeding from the hatchery.

Also as far as our general location (I will update it) we are located in central virginia.

I hope I answered all of your questions, please let me know if I missed anything. I appreciate the help.

Any chance he could have eaten something moldy (spilled feed/compost), rotten (compost/dead animal/maggots off a dead animal) or toxic (spilled oil, fertilizer, etc.)?

You mention treating for SLM - what treatment? Leg photos if possible too please.
During checking him over did you notice any lice/mites on the body (around the vent, under wings, etc.)?

Any chance he could have eaten something moldy (spilled feed/compost), rotten (compost/dead animal/maggots off a dead animal) or toxic (spilled oil, fertilizer, etc.)?

You mention treating for SLM - what treatment? Leg photos if possible too please.
During checking him over did you notice any lice/mites on the body (around the vent, under wings, etc.)?
Ibi

Possibility of moldy feed/food

No chance of toxins unless they ventured to someone else's yard (which they never do)

And no chance of any parts of dead animals unless someone else's dog brought it in the yard since our dogs cannot leave the yard.

As far as the SLM i washed with warm soapy water, applied oil and then some petroleum jelly.

Als

Also no lice/mites anywhere else on him.

Back
Top Bottom