HELP-- Need advice ASAP, Chicks rockin but no pips day 23

RoRoinGA

Songster
9 Years
Feb 17, 2010
NE GA
OK what do I do, could it be the shell is too hard for the chicks to pip through?? I had problems with humidity all along. Some are rocking so do i pip a little place for him to start?? I dont want to lose the whole bunch. Anybody have any suggestions.. Actually its still day 22 until 3:00 this afternoon. HELP

Did you count the day you set them as day 1, or the next day? As long as they are rocking, don't interfere
wink.png

I set them on 2/12 at 3:00. They went into lockdown on Tuesday past at 4:00. I just hope the shells aren't too hard.

Can you hear them peeping? It could be that the temps were just a tiny bit low and they will be a couple of days late. If you can hear them peeping, then they have pipped the aircell. I imagine with them rocking (turning in the shell) that you should see some pips soon. Good luck and keep us posted.
smile.png

My humidity went down on on day 21 and they rocked but could not get out on day 22. When I finally opened the bator to help it was too late. I would open it ... grab an egg with a warm moist towel and listen to see if you hear chirping... if so maybe help.

RELAX....Take a breath and WAIT....easy to say right? LOL ....My last hatch I had one chick that waited untill day 26...no kidding...His name is "Lucky" Cause I almost threw him in the garbage ! No movement or pip or anything till day 26...went to candle the eggs that hadnt hatched and he had pipped on the bottom.....He is fine now. I have 5 healthy babies ! Rocking and cheeping is good sign....It's hard to be patient, but it's worth it ! Good luck!
thumbsup.gif

Well I couldn't resist, that one was rocking for 2 days and I was afraid that he couldnt get out. I carefully pipped him myself leaving the membrane intact. It is very white. I did this st 12:00 and he is still rocking, I am hoping I gave him the help he needed. Another egg is rocking as well but no pips yet. Today is day 23 starting at 3 pm. I have not lost hope but if he could at least peep through. I am not patient and I know that mother nature takes her time for a reason but I cant seem to do anything else but stare. By the way, this is my first hatch and I have another incubater full due on 3/24. I even downloaded baby chicks chirping sounds and held it up to the bator, they seem to like that. I have lost my mind!

Mom to 1 son serving his country, 1 daughter serving drinks, 1 eight yr old son, 3 dogs, 4 cats, a trio of Black copper marans, one lavender orpington and one black orpington. Oh yea, one wonderful husband who is building me a chicken coop the likes which you have never seen!!

I know I need to step away, I have got 12 eggs in that bator, I only saw 2 rocking, I pipped one and he is still rocking, it is day 23. My question is this, it seems to me that I did or didnt do something which affected the whole flock. If is was just 1 or 2 chickens that didnt pip yet I wouldnt be so concerned, but all of them?? I am not gonna look for a few hours, then we will see.

Back
Top Bottom