Help! Netting question?

bdfive

Crowing
13 Years
Jul 11, 2010
South of Blanco, TX
We are building a peafowl courtyard outside the pens about 50' by 25'. Plan is to have netting over two 14 foot poles in the center of the fenced area and draped/tied to the 8' fence. Question is will the free range peafowl that can fly on top of the netting get caught up in it? Not sure of size of netting to get. 1"?, 2"? I don't want my birds free ranging to get hurt so can I even have a top netted peafowl enclosure? Please .... I need feedback. Thanks!

You want heavy KNOTTED 2" netting.Bigger the opening,less snow will stick to it.KNITTED netting will unravel like a run in ladies hose,where KNOTTED may rip or tear but not continue.If you have outside peas,chances are they would try to land and perch on the highest part,which would be your 14' high posts.If they were to land on the netting once they couldn't feel anything firm I'd guess they would stay aloft and fly to a perch,or off the netting.Their toes would almost need to be curled in order to fit thru the 2" opening and if this were to happen the bird would be laying on the net with their feet and legs hanging under them.
I know from moving peas they feel much more secure and are less prone to fighting-struggling to get away from you,if you grasp their feet or legs together while moving them,so I would guess if they don't feel anything firm under their feet and not be able to land they would either move on,or not attempt in the first place

Wow this is ironic that you brought this up...Today I left the pen door unlatched but not wide open as I was getting some bird food right outside of the pen, and one of my peahens pushed a young peahen out of the door. When I went to slowly herd her back into the pen, she flew landing on the netting. When they land on the netting it looks scary, but they don't really get tangled up. The only problem they have is getting their footing to get off of the netting. What I did was walk inside the pen and put my hands under her so she could have something solid to stand on so she could fly off. Usually it takes several flops around on the netting for them to fly off of totally. She made one flop across the netting and one of her legs went through, but luckily she let me push it back out of the netting. This peahen isn't used to being touched, but when they are stuck on netting they can be surprisingly less spooky. They might know you just want to help. I have had one other incident like this too. I tried to free-range some peahens and when they wouldn't roost in a tree for the night and it got dark and they still were not up in a tree, I tried herding them back into the pen but when they were about to turn the corner of the pen they just decided they would take off flying so one went far off and the other landed in a small tree right next to the pen. The next day she probably flew off the tree onto the netting because she was standing on the netting. She couldn't move much due to the slant of the netting and she didn't have anything solid under her feet, so I put my hands under her and finally after some tries she was off of the netting and I guided her back into the pen.

I think the only way they will get on the netting is if they are spooked or if they are roosting in a tree above the netting or very close to it and they fly down onto it. Even if they do land on the netting, it will help them learn that it is there and to be more careful. I don't think you should worry too much. It might seem like something they would get tangled up in but it seems like they don't. I should have gotten a picture, but at these moments the last thing I think about is to get a photo. Haha well I hope that helped.

Frenchblackcopper: Thanks for the info on type of netting. I've not researched the netting yet so didn't know what to get....now know to get the knotted for sure. I was thinking the 2" is best ....that predators are less apt to walk on it but now wonder if the free range peafowl would be more comfortable if they landed on it......or could they get their feet tangled in it? We're about 30 miles north of San Antonio in the foot hills of the Hill Country so don't see much if any snow.

Minxfox: With the net being 14' up in the center it would be impossible for me to get up that high to help the bird by putting my hand under it for footing so it could fly off. I'd be frantic seeing it in stress and perhaps helpless to free itself. In fact at my age and how I feel about these peafowl I'd probably drop dead, LOL!!! I have one hen that is so tame she practically get in our laps when we're working out there. I feed them all from my hand. Is your netting also 2" openings? Seems it would be best so if the foot goes through... it will more easily pull out as they take flight. My birds are going to be confused and most likely fly into/onto it because they have had access to the space being wide open. I wonder if it would be best to not hoist it up that high (14' in the center) so I can get to them if need be. Perhaps I can have a large step ladder available beneath the netting for emergencies. I know it will be important to stretch the netting tight so they can't get caught up in it.

I've read Pacific Netting is a good place to purchase......figured on talking to them. Where did the 3 of you get your netting?

Augeredin: The way it's planned now there will be no hard surfaces for them to land on but I could put boards across the 8' high fence from post to post for them to perch on. I wonder if that would help or hinder? I've thought of doing it anyway so the netting tied to the fence wire doesn't pull the fence wire in.

Due to so many trees predators such as raccoons most likely will access the roof of the 30' by 50' pen and the roof of the chick house with attached sheds that is 12' by 30'. Will they have any reason to chew/tear through the netting if there is no food inside and the chicks are locked in the building? The chicks will have their own "SAFE" (1" welded wire) outside run but put inside nights. I'm trying to find a way to stop coons/grey fox from climbing the trees by surrounding the trunks with something smooth like sheet metal.

One more question.....we are going to fence this area with 2" by 4" non-climb fence wire. It's used around our large garden where we have had animals dig under so I'm assuming they can't just walk through the wire not to say a small raccoon, skunk, possum or fox couldn't access it. "IF" any peafowl are in the netted area they will be on a roost held up by cedar fence posts that predators can't climb. I don't think small predators would even attemp attacking full size peafowl. Please share your thoughts so I'll know if my brain is properly functioning, LOL!!!

Thanks much, I so appreciate the input.
smile.png

I got mine of Ebay, it was heavy duty knotted 2 inch netting.Here is a link:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/2-HEAVY-KNO...226?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4163984aba

This seller has different sizes available and ships really fast. Nicely packaged and easy to layout on the ground. I have never had any bird fly onto the netting. Even the hawks are up in the tree trying to figure out how to get into my pen cause of the little bantam chickens. The only problem I have is tree branches from the big oak trees
sad.png

My netting came from the same person that Yoda has linked to on e-bay.My first net used over Pea Palace east edition had several long spots where it was not tied or kotted. I took pictures of this after I had the net up and the man looked at my pics and said that was unsatisfactory and should never have beensold so a week later he sent me a brand new same sized identical net 100% Free of charge,,,now I have a free net to use on Pea Palace west edition once it becomes necessary to expand.

Thanks Yoda and everyone for your help and suggestions. I'd be lost without you. This is going to be so nice and the finishing touch I've needed to complete my peafowl habitat. If need be we can always put hot wire around the whole thing but hoping it won't come to that. I intend to lay wire out 2 to 3 feet on the ground from the fence to keep predators from digging under. I'm really looking forward to plantings in the courtyard.....deer won't be able to get to them. I intend to use some greens the peafowl eat but surround the plants with wire so they can only reach outside leaves and not eat the plant to the ground killing it. It's all going to be a fun venture. I'll get pictures for sure when finished but will try to take some soon to share. Hoping other peafowl enthusiasts will chime in on their experiences.

I'm wondering if I should not hoist the netting up 14 feet which will make it more difficult due to the height in case a free range bird flies on top. My husband suggests I have a pole with flat board on the end that I can reach the bird from beneath to give it some footing to fly off. Great idea but wondering if I'll be able to lift and manipulate the pole. What did you folks put on the end of the poles the netting sets on to keep the netting from getting snagged and torn? We're thinking bowl shaped plow disks welded on or maybe those top caps that cover the valves on 250 gallon propane tanks.

I've read Pacific Netting is a good place to purchase......figured on talking to them. Where did the 3 of you get your netting?

I got my netting from an Amazon seller. I don't know if anyone else has experianced this, but my netting seems to rip a lot...Mainly around where it attaches to the fence and the pen door. Maybe it is just the way I am securing it? I secure it with bunny clips to the fence and those might be rubbing the netting and causing it to rip....Maybe the seller has thicker netting I could get? My netting works, but I just want something that will withstand a little more...That is why I was actually considering getting Pacific Netting for my next project just beacause their netting looks more heavy duty. I am on their website right now checking it over...I haven't been on their site in a while...They even have specific netting for zoo aviaries and can custom do netting for raptors and other birds. It looks very legit...I just wish you could click on the photos to see them at a larger size... Ooh it can be any color you want it to be...Hmm...Purple! Haha I am starting to search on different nettings...I wonder what most people use? Wait does anyone know how much Pacific Netting costs? On their how to order page at the bottom they say "THERE IS NO ADDITIONAL COST FOR THESE CUSTOM ENGINEERING SERVICES." But I couldn't find any prices...

I made the mistake of not thinking to put anything over the posts so it tore my netting but now what I use is big plastic plant pots. We have so many unused pots for plants lying around so I just grab those and put them over the posts supporting the netting. The best pots are the ones with holes in the bottom beause you can use the holes to put string or wire or something through to better secure the pot to the post, because without that the pot will slide a bit and might fall off.

Okay I keep editing this post because I keep finding more info...Alright here is an older topic about netting, it sounds like Pacific Netting or Toprite netting is the good stuff. https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/448609/netting

Last edited:
I've done some research on backyardchickens and pretty much decided Pacific Netting is the place to go when I'm ready to cap the enclosure. I did talk to the company and the man was so helpful and full of suggestions. I forget the price he quoted but it was reasonable and he said when I'm ready he'll help with what I need to know to install and stretch the net ..... says I want it tight enough. I had already realized by looking at pictures and reading that I needed to have something on top of the 2 fourteen foot steel poles to protect the netting. One suggestion is plow discs but they are super hard to find. We have one to weld on but looking for another. I was told some put carpet on top of whatever they use but not sure how it could be attached and stay (maybe an industrial glue or liquid nails or ??). I figure on painting it with the hundred dollar a gallon paint used on the steel posts of our fence around the house. If sanded and done right it's super smooth and slick. I'm now looking for the dome hinged on top of 250 gallon propane tanks that flips up .... the valves are beneath it. It's rounded.....would make a perfect instrument for the netting to sail back and forth across with hopefully no fraying. I think they are powder coated so slick and smooth. Not sure about how to tie to the fencing. We are installing the 2" by 4" non-climb. We don't have a bar across the top so if attaching it to the fencing and pulling it somewhat tight I'm afraid it's going to pull in the fence wire so now I'm thinking we need to put a rail at the top. The posts are huge cedar logs. Fence will be 8 feet tall. Actually I'm thinking as I write this what's the big deal if it pulls the fencing in where netting is attached a little. The guys working on this just want to get it done. They have a fit when I say "That won't work" or "I need to research that". At my age (retired) I don't need problems to contend with so trying to do it right the first time keeping in mind low maintenance and longevity. Most important is the safety of the peafowl. My husband will cringe when it's all done and I say we have to wrap it all in hot wire, LOL!!! I'm hoping we won't but with all the trees for predators to climb onto the netting I'm afraid that may be the case.

MinxFox, do call Pacific Netting and talk to them. One thing I still don't know and need to ask is how well the peafowl can see the netting. I'd prefer it be bulky enough they know it's there but realize that may add weight which will make it difficult to get into place. I'll read info on the link you provided and I thank you for sharing your experiences. Regarding what to put on top I read some use the metal garbage can lids after removing the handle. I have a wok for cooking that would be great, LOL!!! The big thing is like you say is how to attach it. We'll weld onto the steel posts. We'll be cutting off some limbs on a huge cedar tree that are large enough we'll set something over them to help hold up the netting, apply liquid nails and probably use an an anchor bolt with big washer to secure the disc of some kind, maybe my wok, haha......to the top.

OH MY!, just started raining. We may get to rest today!!

Back
Top Bottom