HELP! New chick hatched late and can’t stand! Curled toes and wry neck!!

Mar 12, 2020
My sister and I have been hatching chicks for the season (a sneaky hen hid her eggs too well and by the time we found them they were half way developed). We had moved part of the batch under another hen who was starting to brood, and a few into our incubator. One out of the three eggs in the incubator hatched perfectly, beautiful chick and we were able to place her with the rest of the chicks that were hanging out under mom.
The other two eggs in the incubator were hatching, but TWO DAYS PASSED and only one leg was sticking out of one eggs, and a very loud peeping beak out of the other. There was plenty of water in the incubator so humidity wasn’t an issue, but in a moment of panic my sister decided to help them out of their shells. One chick ended up fine, and she noticed that there wings had already grown in after being cooped in the shell for so long. The second chick was where the problems began.
The chick’s toes are curled, it can’t stand at all, preferring to lay on its side and kick and push itself around (unsuccessfully) and has what we believe to by wry neck. It’s trying so hard to get up and make its way around, but it can only lay and yell. We purchased some Sav-a-Chick and have been mixing a little bit of the water mixture with some chick mash and piping it into its beak, but I wanted to check to see if there was anything else we could do.
(Chicks are a sebright mix, “born” about 24 hours ago)
I don’t want the little guy to be a lost cause, he made it this far and I want to give him the best fighting chance.
(We has put a bandaid around its legs thinking it was splayed leg but it didn’t help it stand and he was kicking around so much that I snipped it in half and have to remove it with the help of my sister when she wakes up)
Thanks!

Attachments

• 00EB7F46-2D3D-41B0-B358-ED264C761302.jpeg
    00EB7F46-2D3D-41B0-B358-ED264C761302.jpeg
    399.7 KB · Views: 16
My sister and I have been hatching chicks for the season (a sneaky hen hid her eggs too well and by the time we found them they were half way developed). We had moved part of the batch under another hen who was starting to brood, and a few into our incubator. One out of the three eggs in the incubator hatched perfectly, beautiful chick and we were able to place her with the rest of the chicks that were hanging out under mom.
The other two eggs in the incubator were hatching, but TWO DAYS PASSED and only one leg was sticking out of one eggs, and a very loud peeping beak out of the other. There was plenty of water in the incubator so humidity wasn’t an issue, but in a moment of panic my sister decided to help them out of their shells. One chick ended up fine, and she noticed that there wings had already grown in after being cooped in the shell for so long. The second chick was where the problems began.
The chick’s toes are curled, it can’t stand at all, preferring to lay on its side and kick and push itself around (unsuccessfully) and has what we believe to by wry neck. It’s trying so hard to get up and make its way around, but it can only lay and yell. We purchased some Sav-a-Chick and have been mixing a little bit of the water mixture with some chick mash and piping it into its beak, but I wanted to check to see if there was anything else we could do.
I don’t want the little guy to be a lost cause, he made it this far and I want to give him the best fighting chance.
(We has put a bandaid around its legs thinking it was splayed leg but it didn’t help it stand and he was kicking around so much that I snipped it in half and have to remove it with the help of my sister when she wakes up)
Thanks!
Try putting sticky tape on its toes making a sandwich with the sticky tape and leave it for a few days it might walk weird dont panick help it out to eat and drink for a bit
20200312_071142.jpg
20200312_071129.jpg

Thanks!
Well, it’s the new day and now the little bud is scratching at himself. He has itched off the feathers under his eye and I looked high and low for any bugs, but I can’t find any!

Thanks!
How’d things turn out with the little guy? I have the same problem right now.

Back
Top Bottom