Help!!! One chick picked out all the back feather of another! *PIC

JustClucky

Chirping
8 Years
Mar 16, 2011
TX
Her back is pretty bloody where this bird, about 4 weeks old, has picked along her back. It's pretty bad... I'm not sure which it was but I've separated them all. First of all, how do I treat the injured chick? She's about a 5 week old EE. Next, what do I do with the one who was picking at her??? I think he's a roo.

Last edited:
First off I would only seperate the injured chick clean her off and apply some ointment. (make sure it isnt the pain reliever kind). As for the bully I would make sure he doesnt have another target. Just keep a good eye to figured out the culprit.

Last edited:
Neosporin? I thought I had also read something about using duct tape to cover the wound? It's pretty bad...

Put them under a red heat lamp if they aren't already, don't use duct tape, and separate the chick from the others. Buy Blu Kote tomorrow. It will stain the area purple. Then put it back in.

This is it.

peckedchick.jpg

Will the Blue Kote be ok for this injury?

Also, I don't trust the chick who did this. When I removed her, he/she started to go after her sister! What do I do with him???

When one of my chickens was wounded by her sister, I put neosporin on at first until it healed a bit. Before I put her back in the coop, I put blu-kote on it.

Ok, so last night, I washed her up, smeared her down with Neosporin (a light covering) and kept her separated from the rest.

She'll be fine. My big question is what do I do with the one who did this? Should he be culled? I do not trust him since the minute I took the injured one away, he went after the other that looks just like her. He's a golden laced wyandotte and I only THINK he's a he. Not that it matters.

Back
Top Bottom