HELP! One tiny silkie chick needs your help/advice!

Hardy930

In the Brooder
Apr 25, 2019
Delaware
We just picked up 8 silkie (technically 2 are sizzles) Saturday and we were so happy! That happiness has quickly drained away. I was told they were hatched between Tuesday and Thursday. Which shows in some of their sizes. There’s one light lavender or splash colored chick is nearly triple the size of this runt I’m concerned with. Ive seen her eat and drink on her own, so I know she can, but won’t do much on her own. I started with just some quick sugar water from a syringe and she seemed to perk up and ate/drank a little bit but seems to have lost a lot of strength. Very weak but can stand but sometimes falls over if I help her up. She stays mostly sleeping on a warm washclothe under the heat lamp. Everyone else is fine but she’s so weak it doesn’t make sense.

Obviously she was fine when we picked them out, and the few hours she was with us at first. She poops some, had to clean/scrape off little white chunk this morning while getting kids to school. I had to I could lean most of them yesterday mostly feet but some nasty butts, more in feathers. So I don’t think she’s backed up. Just super weak and not interested in much eating. Havent seen her eat by herself today yet, but did give her sugar water and her crunshed up food/water mix. She can walk around fine but gets knocked over pretty much every time one bumps her. She sleeps a lot.

We are on our way to pick some baby chick meds from our local tractor supply store, not sure what to pick exactly. None of our chicks has even been like this. Lucky so far only health problem was 1 case of Rye neck in a roo and took 5-6 weeks of vitamins to get over.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    404.3 KB · Views: 6
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    375.3 KB · Views: 5
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    340.1 KB · Views: 5
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    490.2 KB · Views: 5
Is it possible you can separate the chick? Give her some extra TLC, feed her the vitamins and supplement with cooked mushed egg yolk.
While I dont have an extra heat lamp I can still section off a portion of their pen and keep her with a buddy or two. I’m about to start vitamins, and I have tried the eggs with all of 5em and only 1 or 2 touched the eggs at all. I can always try again.

Thanks

:fl

Back
Top Bottom