Help! Only one egg hatched and the hen is pecking it

blankchicken

In the Brooder
5 Years
Feb 21, 2014
So our Cochin hen sat on 4 if our duck eggs. One didn't make it, and one hatched while we were out today! The other two I'm not sure their status. So the hen started pecking at the duckling while it tried to get snuggled into her feathers...so I took him out so she wouldn't hurt it. I made a brooder but when I put them in it they cry (I'm guessing cause they are alone). What do I do???

Spend more time with them... After a while they will connect with you and cry for you if at all. The ducklings aren't safe with the chicken there.

The duckling has warmed right up to me and my husband. But where do I put it? Where should it sleep? It's sleeping in my husbands beard right now (ha!)

The duckling has warmed right up to me and my husband. But where do I put it? Where should it sleep? It's sleeping in my husbands beard right now (ha!)
Put it in a brooder. It will probably need more heat right now, whether its body heat or a brooder light. If its only one duckling then he/she will need your companionship. You will probably want to keep the brooder in the same room with you.

Back
Top Bottom