Help! Pasty butt!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by haleyannxoxoxo, Apr 1, 2018.

1. haleyannxoxoxo

haleyannxoxoxo In the Brooder

Mar 31, 2018
    Puyallup, WA
    Hi everyone! I have an americana chick who is super pasty and tied up. She is just sitting and chirping, wont drink, and her vent area is blocked. I tried wiping it up- no luck. Can I run her bottom under warm water if I keep her warm after? I don't want to lose her. :/ This is all new to me. My other chicks are fine but she's having a hard time. They are on medicated starter with chick grit, water+electrolytes (room temp), have a heat lamp and aren't too cold or too hot. I think I got her like this (2 days ago). I read about the yogurt, and all the stuff to treat it. I just want to know if I can run her under some water to help clean this up. I can oil her vent area after its clean.

2. SueT

SueT Free Ranging

May 27, 2015
    SW MO
    Yes! Run warm water over her butt asap, it MUST be removed or she'll die .BE GENTLE!!!! Good luck....

Last edited: Apr 1, 2018
  3. All_my_peeps

All_my_peeps In the Brooder

Feb 12, 2018
    You can fill a large tub or laundry sink with warm water (epson salts if you wish) to her butt level and let her soak. Use gloves and try to remove debris without pulling. If your in a cold climate place the hen under a heat lamp indoors while she dries. Good luck

4. haleyannxoxoxo

haleyannxoxoxo In the Brooder

Mar 31, 2018
    Puyallup, WA
    Great success. I got it all cleaned up and she's now drying off. I didn't have vaseline but I put olive oil on her butt. She's acting feisty now... they definitely don't like being rinsed off. She pooped for a long time after her bath.

SueT likes this.
  5. All_my_peeps

All_my_peeps In the Brooder

Feb 12, 2018
    So glad to hear she doing better!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: