Help! Pasty butt!

haleyannxoxoxo

In the Brooder
Mar 31, 2018
Puyallup, WA
Hi everyone! I have an americana chick who is super pasty and tied up. She is just sitting and chirping, wont drink, and her vent area is blocked. I tried wiping it up- no luck. Can I run her bottom under warm water if I keep her warm after? I don't want to lose her. :/ This is all new to me. My other chicks are fine but she's having a hard time. They are on medicated starter with chick grit, water+electrolytes (room temp), have a heat lamp and aren't too cold or too hot. I think I got her like this (2 days ago). I read about the yogurt, and all the stuff to treat it. I just want to know if I can run her under some water to help clean this up. I can oil her vent area after its clean.

Yes! Run warm water over her butt asap, it MUST be removed or she'll die .BE GENTLE!!!! Good luck....

Last edited:
You can fill a large tub or laundry sink with warm water (epson salts if you wish) to her butt level and let her soak. Use gloves and try to remove debris without pulling. If your in a cold climate place the hen under a heat lamp indoors while she dries. Good luck

Great success. I got it all cleaned up and she's now drying off. I didn't have vaseline but I put olive oil on her butt. She's acting feisty now... they definitely don't like being rinsed off. She pooped for a long time after her bath.

Back
Top Bottom