Help...Please. 3 sick chickens, droopie combs, not eating, purchased safeguard paste, Corid..doses??

hi eggsessive, thank you for replying. I made an error on my first reply. safeguard is 10 days..corid is 5-7. can I start both at same time. starting tomorrow morning I will give all 5 hens 2 tsp in gal of water. when do you think I can start the pea-sized safe guard?..The corid won't hurt them if they don't have parasites will it?

my sickest girl had a little to eat of mixed veggies on her own tonite, I was surprised, she made her way out of the coop and onto the ground. I gave her ACV the other day mixed with water in an eyedropper, did that help or hurt, I don't know. I can't believe she is still alive. I honor her for her will to live. I pray she continues to hang in there. is a bumply egg shell a sign of worms? What does a droopy comb mean? I looked at pics from 2 years ago and all of their combs were straight up and red, now, the three sick ones are all drooped and pale. The healthy two others' combs are straight up and red and they are the only two laying. Can I give the eggs that they lay to them or should I just throw them away? I'm sorry for all the questions. Thank you so much again for reply. I'll check for answers tomorrow morning.

Hi this is my first time posting and I don't even know if I'm doing it right. I have 3 red star hens, 3 years old. One in particular is so thin that I can't feel any muscle, she is weak and the last four days can hardly stand but by God's Grace does. She is much worse than the other two, although they are thin also. All combs are drooping and pale, all have diarrhea, lethargic. I will concentrate on the hen that is really bad. I have been giving her food with eye dropper and sometimes she will eat strawberries and other chopped up fruit by her self but not much. Last week her poop was very little but yellow and green. The green part looked like what I could describe as when a bug eats a green leaf, that color and I thought some whitish round specks like sesame seeds in there too. The hens have never been wormed but when I lost one last year I brought two of them to the vet. Got doses for all of Ivermectin. I was reading some posts a couple of days ago about coccidiosis and ordered some corid liquid 9.6 and safeguard paste. Actually I thought my hen would be gone by today but she is trying so hard to live. No runny noses, they are not molting and are not laying, haven't been for a while, although, when she had layed her last eggs about 2 months ago, the shells had bumps and the surface was rough, not smooth? Can you give me the doses for the corid and the safeguard paste, how long, which one first? I really don't know what I'm doing...I need help so bad...I want her to make it. I have a total of 5 hens, the other two are healthy and laying and very alert. I know I need to treat them all. I've been giving her ground up pellets with some olive oil, Gatorade and yogurt all mixed and given by eyedropper. I figured that a little bit of Gatorade would help with her electrolites, I hope that is ok. Can I give her the corid by eyedropper after I mix up a gallon of water with it for all the chickens? I'm not certain about the Safe Guard paste dose either. Can someone please get back to me ASAP. Please
Whitish round specks like sesame seeds could possibly be tapeworm segments.
Here's a pic of feces with tapeworms segments, is this what you saw?

Since your chickens are 3 years old, I would probably go ahead and give them a dose of Safe guard (fenbendazole) and start the Corid. If you think those white specks in the poop are tapeworms as Dawg53 has pointed out, you will need to give the SafeGuard for 3 days in a row--is that right Dawg? Again, if you think you have tapeworm, the SafeGuard dosage may need to be increased to 1 ml for 3 days, instead of 1/2 ml for 3 days.

Last edited:
Since your chickens are 3 years old, I would probably go ahead and give them a dose of Safe guard (fenbendazole) and start the Corid. If you think those white specks in the poop are tapeworms as Dawg53 has pointed out, you will need to give the SafeGuard for 3 days in a row--is that right Dawg?
Not safeguard. Valbazen or zimectrin gold. Z-gold would be much cheaper, a pea size amount orally, then repeat again in 10 days. (If in fact it's tapes, OP isnt sure.)

hi again, thank you to all the replies, I started all 5 hens on corid in their water this morning. My really sick hen is still alive...amazing!..she is very weak, no muscle on chest, can't stand long. Is eating very little. I gave her eyedroppers of corid water down throat along with mashed pellets. I 'm not sure if she has tape worms or parasites. The little round things were flat, not like sesame seed thickness. Very watery poop on a few of the hens. So, it is ok to start all of the hens on corid in their water AND safeguard paste? at the same time?. Also...the really sick hen weighs about maybe 2 lbs or so. Would I give her a baby pea size of safe guard paste?

I checked the other two lethargic hens for crop bound this morning, both have a firm crop. I gave eyedropper each of olive oil and massaged their crop. I will check tomorrow morning to see if they are freed up, if not, do I do more olive oil, then massage and then tip them and try to get them to throw up? You guys can tell that I'm surely a novice at all this..

hi dawg, I just went to look at her and give her some water. next to her was poop that had those in it (post # 10) although I don't know if it was hers but she is the only one in the coop right now so I guess it is hers. now what, should I give her the safe guard paste? that is all I have? and what should the amount be...1/2 ml or 1 ml. ? Too much won't kill her will it? Like I said she is about 2 lbs now, just skin and bones. the time is 3:49 EST right now, I'll wait by the computer

hi, I checked with the feed store, they are out of Zimecterin but have equamax for tape worms in horses.my husband is picking it up as I type this. Is equamax alright to use in the pea size for the hen with tape worms?

hi, I checked with the feed store, they are out of Zimecterin but have equamax for tape worms in horses.my husband is picking it up as I type this. Is equamax alright to use in the pea size for the hen with tape worms?
Equimax will work, same dosage as z-gold....a SMALL pea size amount orally.

I forgot to add; once you dose her, keep an eye on her feces for the first 24 hours or so, you might see evidence of the tapeworm excreted. Tapeworms are flat and segmented, come in all shapes and sizes. They might look like a flat piece of macaroni or jellyfish like tentacles, or broken up curly q segments. Then again you might not see anything in feces. The worm(s) would be digested as protein in the digestive tract. Let us know how it goes.

Back
Top Bottom