Coledavis21891

Chirping
Feb 20, 2022
I lost almost 20 chicks that are 4 to 6 weeks old they are in the brooder that gets cleaned often the chicks have ruffled feathers and their wings droop they also act tired and have bad balance right befor they die thier legs shrivle up and you can see their keel bone like thier wasting away i have them on corid and its not helping at all

Attachments

• 20230519_223624.jpg
    20230519_223624.jpg
    175.5 KB · Views: 83
  • 20230519_223605.jpg
    20230519_223605.jpg
    221.8 KB · Views: 24
Shouldnt be to hot or cold i have a lamp and space they can get away from it i hatched them and nothing else in the diet i was giving electrolytes twice a week until i started giving corid
You could send one in for necropssy. If their from a hatchery and have never been exposed to other birds, it's very unlikely to be mareks disease especially so young

I lost almost 20 chicks that are 4 to 6 weeks old they are in the brooder that gets cleaned often the chicks have ruffled feathers and their wings droop they also act tired and have bad balance right befor they die thier legs shrivle up and you can see their keel bone like thier wasting away i have them on corid and its not helping at all

I use purina gamebird chick starter and i use 10 ccs of liquid corid per gallon today is day 5

Shouldnt be to hot or cold i have a lamp and space they can get away from it i hatched them and nothing else in the diet i was giving electrolytes twice a week until i started giving corid
Please post clear photos that are well lit of the chicks, their poop, the brooder.

Please tell us the temperature of the brooder on the warm and the cold side.

Gamebird starter feed is around 30% protein, so it should be o.k. for chicken chicks for a month or so, but I would not feed it longer than 2 months.

Marek Disease

Im pretty sure. worked with this with some other person on this website
Not likely.

The poop has a lot of mucous.

Direct oral drench each chick with undiluted liquid Corid at a rate of 0.10ml per pound of weight twice a day for 3 days.

This is in addition to them drinking the mixed Corid water.
Liquid Corid dose is 2tsp or Powdered Corid Dose is 1 1/2tsp per gallon of water given for 5-7 days as the only source of drinking water.
Do not add any extra vitamins/electrolytes that contain B1(Thiamine) to food or water during the course of treatment.

Stop cleaning with bleach.

Place the food/water on the cool side of the brooder. Make sure the brooder has plenty of ventilation and that the temperature is not too hot. Chicks that are feathered in don't require a lot of heat.

I'd place them on clean dry bedding and keep it stirred.

Get them on chick starter that is 18-20% protein instead of the 30% Gamebird feed.

Please post clear photos that are well lit of the chicks, their poop, the brooder.

Please tell us the temperature of the brooder on the warm and the cold side.

Gamebird starter feed is around 30% protein, so it should be o.k. for chicken chicks for a month or so, but I would not feed it longer than 2 months.

Not likely.
The temp on the warm side is around 80 cool side is around 70 thier poop goes through the wire bottom but will try to get pictures of it and chicks tommorrow

ARE you SURE you aren't killing them with that heat lamp?
It looks WAY too close to them to only be 80 degrees.

What exactly are you disinfecting with bleach...the wire?

Back
Top Bottom