Help.. poorly hen, can't breathe and feathers turning white?!

Lianne C

Hatching
7 Years
Mar 17, 2012
Hi all,
I could really do with some help, please.....

I have quite few rare breed chickens. All various ages. But I've never come across this.

I've a bantam gold laced wyandott, Lucy. She's just two. Recently it looked as though she was malting. However today I found her stretching her neck like she was trying to crow, but it sounded like she was trying to catch her breath and breathe properly. She'a really struggling. I brought her in for a check over, i found that where I thought she was malting, it's actually where her feathers have turned white!? She doesn't sound chesty or wheezy. She's sticky around here vent, so she's had a poorly bum too.

I've brought her inside, and given her some antibiotics that I had spare. But I really don't have a clue what could be wrong.

She's an absolute gem, and raised two beautiful sets of chicks. I really would be lost without her.

Can anyone help please?

Hi all,
I could really do with some help, please.....

I have quite few rare breed chickens. All various ages. But I've never come across this.

I've a bantam gold laced wyandott, Lucy. She's just two. Recently it looked as though she was malting. However today I found her stretching her neck like she was trying to crow, but it sounded like she was trying to catch her breath and breathe properly. She'a really struggling. I brought her in for a check over, i found that where I thought she was malting, it's actually where her feathers have turned white!? She doesn't sound chesty or wheezy. She's sticky around here vent, so she's had a poorly bum too.

I've brought her inside, and given her some antibiotics that I had spare. But I really don't have a clue what could be wrong.

She's an absolute gem, and raised two beautiful sets of chicks. I really would be lost without her.

Can anyone help please?

Stressed birds are more susceptible to disease. I don't know what to tell you about the "white" feathers, but perhaps a picture could help. Canker is a disease that causes birds to extend their neck and attempt to swallow. Look in the bird's mouth and see if you notice any white or yellow sores in the back of the throat. Use a flashlight. Canker is caused by a protozoan and can easily enter a wound if a chicken gets in a peck fight, or for some reason gets a sore or scrape in the mouth.

If that is the case metronidazole ( Fish Zole, Flagyl, Aviotrich) can get rid of it. Let me know what you see after the mouth/throat inspection and I'll try to help from there. Also, what antiobiotics are you giving the bird, and how much was the dosage?

Thank you

I couldn't see any sores in her mouth, but I will check with a torch tomorrow. I don't think she would have been in a fight, they've all been in that pen for quite a while, they're nice and settled. But... you never know.

The antibiotics are left from when I was looking after a hen with poorly sinuses/ cold. The meds and hen were my friends. They were from her vet. It goes in the water, for 3 days.

I will take photos of her tomorrow.

Thanks again
:)

Thank you

I couldn't see any sores in her mouth, but I will check with a torch tomorrow. I don't think she would have been in a fight, they've all been in that pen for quite a while, they're nice and settled. But... you never know.

The antibiotics are left from when I was looking after a hen with poorly sinuses/ cold. The meds and hen were my friends. They were from her vet. It goes in the water, for 3 days.

I will take photos of her tomorrow.

Thanks again
:)
I need to know what the name of the antibiotic used. Was it tetracycline, tylosin, etc. ?

If it is a respiratory infection, Tylan is the antibiotic of choice for most respiratory problems. Sulfadimethoxine is used for Coryza.

How long ago were you looking after the hen with a respiratory problem?

Did it recover?

Was it around your other birds in the flock, or was it separated during treatment?

The longer the hen goes without the correct treatment, it is more likely she will die.

Hi,
Sorry for the late response. I've also had a poorly little boy and broken car, and no internet.:-(

I've got hold of my friend, the medicine is tylan. Lucy is eating a bit, seems OK in her self, She just sits in a big tray indoors watching the world go by.she would usually be out the dog flap and back with her mates, but she's made no attempt on leaving her safe area. She isn't struggling as much breathing. She has lost a few feathers, and it seems more white are coming through.

My tablet won't let me attach a PIC, so I will do it in the morning.

Also, the one I was looking after (isobel), was in about September, she was away from the rest, and she recovered beautifully. I'm very conscious of scrubbing everywhere a poorly bird has been, and constantly wash my hands before and after.

Thank you so much for your help. I really appreciate it.

Lianne
X

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom