Help!! Potentially injured RedHead duck

SolarDuck

Free Ranging
Jan 31, 2020
On my daily trip to the park on my way back home I found this guy in the road, then it seemed like he was trying to fly over the fence into the park but he just kept flying into the fence. I couldn't really tell if he was injured but since he was in the road I was thinking he might have gotten hit by a car, so I grabbed him and brought him in to assess his situation. He definitely cannot fly, he doesn't seem to have any immediately noticeable injury other than just seeming very dazed and confused, and pretty weak. Bringing him back home was very easy he barely resisted which isn't typical of a wild duck like him. @Isaac 0 do you have any idea of something I could look for to tell if he is injured?

He makes very interesting noises, but I guess thats probably just the sound redhead ducks make.

Any advice would be appreciated to help me figure out what(if anything) is wrong with him.

I'm not sure if he's eaten anything lately, he pooped a couple times but barely anything came out at all.

Attachments

• 20210301_191855.jpg
    20210301_191855.jpg
    303.4 KB · Views: 14
I would keep him in a quiet, dark room to avoid stressing him out more until you can get him to the sanctuary. Leaving him alone would probably be best, he doesn't seem used to people so that'd probably stress him out.

Edited to say it would probably be best to not feed him, water should be alright though. Everything I've read says to not feed wild birds, he'll be fine without food overnight.

Under the migratory bird treaty act is unlawful to possess a wild bird without a permit; if you have a rehabber, veterinarian, or a sanctuary you can take him to, that would be the best route to take. The bird could be sick, or simply used to being fed by humans - if the bird is domestically raised often the hallux will be clipped off. Until he can be moved, keep isolated in a dim area. Offering a dish of plain water would be fine.

https://www.fws.gov/birds/policies-and-regulations/laws-legislations/migratory-bird-treaty-act.php

I brought him into the vet
He rode on my lap there seemed extremely relaxed. Frankly, he was acting like my pet ducks. Just sitting there relaxing, nibbling on my shirt, fingers and seatbelt I am thinking that he was likely rescued as a duckling and raised by humans and then released back into the wild. Or at least something along those lines.

I brought him into the vet
He rode on my lap there seemed extremely relaxed. Frankly, he was acting like my pet ducks. Just sitting there relaxing, nibbling on my shirt, fingers and seatbelt I am thinking that he was likely rescued as a duckling and raised by humans and then released back into the wild. Or at least something along those lines.
He is beautiful. Hope he is okay. Looks spunky.

Poor Little Thing. Do You Have A Vet You Can Take Him To?
There is a sanctuary that helps injured water birds near me that I can take him to tomorrow, for now I set up my bathtub with shavings and put some food and water in there for him.

I'm honestly not completely sure he isn't used to people, I just picked him up to check him out and feel around to see if I could find any sign of injury, all I really noticed is it seems he's got a little seed or something stuck in his right nare.

He really doesn't seem to be stressing out as much as a bird with no prior human contact would.

I am thinking maybe at some point in the past he was injured, rescued, and rehabbed.
Because when I found him he tried flying and running away from me into the fence, but as soon as I grabbed him he pretty much just sat still for the ride home. He doesn't want to be caught, but once he does he is pretty calm I think maybe from his past rehab experience he knows I don't want to hurt him. It seems he doesn't want to stay but he tolerates it, which I know a wild duck with no human contact ever would NOT tolerate anything like that, one of my ducks is domestic but was just raised wild and when I first took her in to treat her wound, she was much much much much more difficult than this little guy.

Attachments

• 20210301_194906.jpg
    20210301_194906.jpg
    258.6 KB · Views: 5
Last edited:
Actually, I recall seeing pictures of surrendered injured wild animals on my avian vet's facebook page. I might bring him there instead, I know he will be in good hands with her she is a great duck vet, and I believe they find a rehab sanctuary for them after treating them.

Will me sitting here on the bathtub with him make him less lonely like it would a domestic duck? Or will it just stress him out more?
I love that he wants to sit in his water bowl to feel comforted. What a sweet duck. I hope you can figure out what's wrong.

Back
Top Bottom