Ocean Flare

Chirping
Jan 29, 2021
Florida, United States
Hi. I just went in to check on my quail and one who for the past week and a day couldn't walk has a big infection or SOMETHING on her! I thought it was minor since since she had once before hurt her leg but it was fine in a few days. But then I saw slight red coloration on her feathers and cut some feather that were glued together with blood or something and saw this.

Attachments

• 20210613_191735.jpg
    20210613_191735.jpg
    276.1 KB · Views: 14
Does it feel perfectly centered, like it's right over the middle of the bird's hips? Is it hard, or soft like a blister? Does it feel much warmer than the surrounding skin? Looks almost like a uropygial gland gone bad, or a surface wound with infection brewing.

A vet is your best bet. A vet who sees small animals specifically, if you can find one.

Until you can get her seen, I'd try holding a warm compress to the site (don't scrub, just press gently). If anything comes out of the wound during, gently wipe it away and take note of what it looks like. A thin smear of triple antibiotic ointment isn't out of order, either, but isn't likely to help much if this is an infection of deeper tissues.

Edit: and by "couldn't walk," do you mean having trouble walking, or completely unable to walk?

Does it feel perfectly centered, like it's right over the middle of the bird's hips? Is it hard, or soft like a blister? Does it feel much warmer than the surrounding skin? Looks almost like a uropygial gland gone bad, or a surface wound with infection brewing.

A vet is your best bet. A vet who sees small animals specifically, if you can find one.

Until you can get her seen, I'd try holding a warm compress to the site (don't scrub, just press gently). If anything comes out of the wound during, gently wipe it away and take note of what it looks like. A thin smear of triple antibiotic ointment isn't out of order, either, but isn't likely to help much if this is an infection of deeper tissues.

Edit: and by "couldn't walk," do you mean having trouble walking, or completely unable to walk?
She can walk, just having trouble and falling when she does.

I'm not sure if it's centered or not but it seems the same temperature as the surrounding skin and is hard. It might be a surface wound with an infection because the female she was with she attacked and I separated her last week.

I have triple antibiotic ointment but it has coco butter and I read coco is bad for them? Can I apply to her skin though?

She can walk, just having trouble and falling when she does.

I'm not sure if it's centered or not but it seems the same temperature as the surrounding skin and is hard. It might be a surface wound with an infection because the female she was with she attacked and I separated her last week.

I have triple antibiotic ointment but it has coco butter and I read coco is bad for them? Can I apply to her skin though?

Hmm, yeah, that sounds more like an infected wound.

I think coco butter is only dangerous if they ingest it—if you put on a coat thick enough to cover but thin enough there are no blobs of ointment she could eat, I don't see an issue.

Hmm, yeah, that sounds more like an infected wound.

I think coco butter is only dangerous if they ingest it—if you put on a coat thick enough to cover but thin enough there are no blobs of ointment she could eat, I don't see an issue.
Alright thanks.

Edit: Oh but just in case do any of these ingredients seen bad for her skin or anything?

Attachments

• JPEG_20210613_200815_8693391022485171054.jpg
    JPEG_20210613_200815_8693391022485171054.jpg
    226.7 KB · Views: 9
  • JPEG_20210613_200848_3197959087345290921.jpg
    JPEG_20210613_200848_3197959087345290921.jpg
    234.2 KB · Views: 4
For your bird's health and comfort, I stress again the importance of a compress. You can use a washcloth or a wad of paper towels. Very warm water from the tap should do. Then just hold it against the wound (even a five-minute session will probably see a difference). The heat increases blood flow and softens the skin so pus and old blood can leave.

Back
Top Bottom