Help! Red,veiny sac hanging from newly hatched chick

wprice

Hatching
May 7, 2023
Chick hatched tonight (very quickly) and has large red sac with visible veins hanging from bottom. It is alternating from walking around cheeping to laying still. I have hatched hundreds of chicks and never seen this. Very concerned. Please advise what needs to be done.

Attachments

• IMG_2698.jpeg
    IMG_2698.jpeg
    310.3 KB · Views: 35
  • IMG_2697.jpeg
    IMG_2697.jpeg
    291.4 KB · Views: 14
Hello!

That looks like an unabsorbed yolk sac. I’m assuming it hatched by itself without any help? If so, that’s strange because it doesn’t look like it was quite ready.

I would suggest keeping it separated from the other chicks until it fully absorbs the yolk sac. If possible, leave it in the incubator for as long as you can so that the humidity isn’t too low, which would cause the yolk sac to dry out. It will also provide optimum temp so that the chick doesn’t get stressed or have to work to maintain its body temperature.

Hello!

That looks like an unabsorbed yolk sac. I’m assuming it hatched by itself without any help? If so, that’s strange because it doesn’t look like it was quite ready.

I would suggest keeping it separated from the other chicks until it fully absorbs the yolk sac. If possible, leave it in the incubator for as long as you can so that the humidity isn’t too low, which would cause the yolk sac to dry out. It will also provide optimum temp so that the chick doesn’t get stressed or have to work to maintain its body temperature.
Yes it hatched by itself. It was very quick from pipping hole, zipping, to hatching though. I have it in the incubator in a bowl to keep it away from any others that make hatch. It was the first to hatch.

Is that the first chick to hatch? Are there any others to hatch after? Do any others have the same problem?

Are you using the Nurture Right 360? Were the temperature and humidity stable and consistent the entire 21 days?

This chick is definitely more vulnerable than others that hatch healthy and normal. You’re probably going to need to give this little guy extra care and attention as well as check on it more than you normally would.

It sort of looks like a prolapse to me, and I say that because I had a chick hatch once who had the umbilical cord wrapped around his foot and this is similar to what it resembled. I hope it all works out good 🤗

Yes it hatched by itself. It was very quick from pipping hole, zipping, to hatching though. I have it in the incubator in a bowl to keep it away from any others that make hatch. It was the first to hatch.
Ok it sounds like you did the right thing. Definitely keep it separated. I don’t know why it hatched early…that’s a good sign that it’s a strong one though!

This has only happened to one of the chicks that I hatched, and I gave that one away so I’m not sure how long it took to fully absorb the yolk sac. Sorry I can’t give you more information or truly speak from experience, but I hope what I’ve said has helped some!

Is that the first chick to hatch? Are there any others to hatch after? Do any others have the same problem?

Are you using the Nurture Right 360? Were the temperature and humidity stable and consistent the entire 21 days?

This chick is definitely more vulnerable than others that hatch healthy and normal. You’re probably going to need to give this little guy extra care and attention as well as check on it more than you normally would.
Yes it was the first to hatch. I have separated it from the other ones to potentially hatch. Yes my temps and humidity have been pretty solid.

Ok it sounds like you did the right thing. Definitely keep it separated. I don’t know why it hatched early…that’s a good sign that it’s a strong one though!

This has only happened to one of the chicks that I hatched, and I gave that one away so I’m not sure how long it took to fully absorb the yolk sac. Sorry I can’t give you more information or truly speak from experience, but I hope what I’ve said has helped some!
Thank you for your help.

Back
Top Bottom