Red Sac Hanging From Chicks Tummy

ohnoicantfly

Songster
Jun 27, 2022
Canada
Hello all. One of my chicks that has hatched has a red sac hanging from the bottom of it's tummy. Is this normal? The chick is acting fine. It's running around with the other two, stopping now and then to take rests. someone please help. I'm panicking a little.

Not sure if this was the right thing to do, but I've read a couple times that you should take the chick if it has an unabsorbed yolk sac and put it in a cup with a paper towel and leave it in the incubator. I did that.

@Eggcessive

I had this issue two days ago. Hopefully, she didn't trip over it while she was running around. If any of her insides were pulled by the umbilical cord, her chances aren't great. but she seems to act more energetic than my chick was, which I suppose is good.

@Eggcessive

I had this issue two days ago. Hopefully, she didn't trip over it while she was running around. If any of her insides were pulled by the umbilical cord, her chances aren't great. but she seems to act more energetic than my chick was, which I suppose is good.
Thanks for responding. I'm really worried about it. He/she seems weaker now :(

He/she keeps trying to get out of the cup, and doesn't seem overly interested in absorbing the yolk sac. But it looks like it might make it.
What is the yolk sac supposed to look like?
The chick is almost dry at this point. Do you think it will make it if it has made it this long?

Sorry about your chick. Unfortunately about all you can do is to keep the yolk sack clean, and let it dry up. Offer some electrolytes orally. Many of these chicks do not make it.
Thank you for responding. It's been a few hours and it seems to be doing okay. How do i clean the yolk sac?

The chick's intestines are hanging out, but it is still very loud and surprisingly energetic. Maybe not as much as the other chicks, but it still is.

I gently pushed it's intestines back in through the hole with a Q-tip and the chick is still loud as ever. What should I do next?

Back
Top Bottom