HELP! Religious subjects.......

EweSheep

Flock Mistress
14 Years
Jan 12, 2007
Land of Lincoln
Yikes!

I got two sheets of Bible verses I need to have my daughter memorized. I believe they are in the King James version and I can not understand some of them! I know she needs to memorize them but it is a bit overwhelming for me, being out of church for so long and expecting my daughter to memorize 26 verses from the Bible. We do not have a Bible at home and she just started her Christian school.

Since it is Friday, I have no help in it and not sure if I should give my five year old dd ALL of the verses for her to memorize over the weekend OR just a few at a time over the week (or two if she is trying).

I do not understand the King James version of the Bible....I've always had the "modernized Bible" and wished I had it when I moved out of my parents home.

Does she needs to know the names of the Bible chapters, like Matthew 7:7...Ask, and it shall be given you, seek, and ye shall find, knock, and it shall be opened to you. Does this verse means if you ask for something, you will get it......if you look for something, you will bound to find it.....if you knock, someone will open the door to reply. Is that correct?

I have more verses and I can add more if I can twist it around to make it understood in modern language.

Here are these verses I can not understand:

Galatians 5:22-23: But the fruit of the spirit is love, peace, long suffering, gentleness, goodness, faith, meekness, temperance, against such there is no law. HUH??? I am lost!

Proverbs 20:11 Even a child is known by his doings? (scratching head)

Psalm 29:1 Give unto the Lord, O ye mighty, give unto the Lord glory and strength. HUH?

John 14:6 I am the way, the truth, and the life, no man cometh unto the Father, but by me. does this mean that Jesus is the way (guidance), the truth and the life and no man can come between Jesus and the sinner???????????????????/

Matthew 6:24 No man can serve two masters. I am guessing God is one of the masters but who is the other one unless it is Jesus. Would we serve under God and Jesus at the same time?

Ephesians 6:11 Put on the whole armor of God, that ye may be able to stand against the wiles of the devil. I am lost on this one!

2 Corinthians 5:17 There fore if any man be Christ, he is a new creature, old things are passed away, behold, all things are become new. I do not have any idea what it means.

Psalm 99:5 Exalt ye the Lord our God, and worship at His footstool, for He is Holy. need translation for this one.

Psalm 97:8 Zion heard and was glad. Am I supposed to read about Zion to get the idea what he has heard and why he was glad?

I am going to flunk these God's verses...........if God needs to give me a grade, it better be a "F"!

From the King James Study Bible notes: *In response to Math. 7:7

"Both Jesus (Luke 18:1) and Paul (1 Timothy 2:1) emphasized the importance of prayer, noting tht people ought always to pray. Prayer includes asking and getting answers from God. But it is mor than just asking: it is confession, adoration, thanksgiving, and fellowship with God. By its nature, prayer is talking with God.

It is the basis of the successful Christian life, and is so important that not praying is considered a sin (1 Samuel 12:23). When we pray, we should follow the model prayer Jesus gave His disciples and address it to our heavenly Father--beginning with adoration, including thanksgiving and confession of sins, making reconciliation with others, praying for our needs and the needs of others, and concluding in Jesus' name (6:9-15).

Illustration: Jesus pointed out that God heard the prayer of a humble publican rather that that of a proud Pharisee (Luke 18:14).

Application: God will answer our prayer when we obey Him (1 John 3:22), confess sin (Ps. 66:18), abide in Christ (John 15:7), ask according to the will of God (1 John 3:22), ask in faith (Mark 11:24), have pure motives (James 4:3), and live peaceably with our mate (1 Pet. 3:7). (First Reference, Gen. 3:8-13; Primary Reference, Matt. 7:7; cf. John 5:14, 15.)

If you can find the study Bible that may help you understand. It has useful notes such as the above and it has helped me. But mostly.... opening my heart has helped me understand the words better.

And I know from my experience that yes they expect you to memorize the the names and chapters of the phrase she is to memorize.

My daughter also was learning the Bible verses and I thought it was a lot as well but surprisingly she was able to hold on to a lot more than I expected. Kids are sponges.

*added the ref.

Last edited:
Sorry, but I fail to understand the purpose of a child her age memorising all those verses when she will not understand them.

imho that is way too much for a little girl - and the King James gives lots of adults a hard time understanding it, so how a child is supposed to is beyond me. What an unfortunately boring way to learn about God!

John 14:6
God is telling us that HE is the way, truth, and the light and no one will come to Him in Heaven UNLESS they BELIEVE with their heart in Jesus--his birth, crucifixion, and resurrection.

I've got to go help my mom but I'll come back to this.

Well, she borrowed a good book from her school library, the "Read with Me Bible" An NIV Story Bible for Children. I loved reading it to her and it is chock full of beautiful drawings and pictures! What such imagitive way of teaching kids to read the story and yes, it is not written in King James version, but easy for me to understand. I LOVE illustrated Bibles for kids!

I told my Dad about the King James version and he looked at me like if I sprang some horns LOL! He has a hard time reading it and let alone trying to translate it!

I agree it is a bit much but I can read it to her a few lines but not with force if she does not want to. Also at the end of some verses, she always ask, what does it mean?
he.gif

My hubby does not do this kind of thing so he is not much help there LOL! However he likes to hear the "stories" of the particular stories but nothing more.

Last edited:
Wow, that is a lot for a 5 year old.
hmm.png
Does she have to understand the verses, or just memorize them? I would hope that she only has to memorize them, and I would imagine that they DO want the chapter and verse of the Scripture memorized as well. Best wishes!

wow, that's alot for a 5 year old to remember. Kinda like torture!
Sorry i can't help ya on this one since i am not christian but sending much luck and patience to ya!
fl.gif
hugs.gif

Robin'sBrood :

Wow, that is a lot for a 5 year old.
hmm.png
Does she have to understand the verses, or just memorize them? I would hope that she only has to memorize them, and I would imagine that they DO want the chapter and verse of the Scripture memorized as well. Best wishes!

The teacher said DD has to memorize the verses. Understanding it, I do not know.​

Back
Top Bottom