Help Sexing my polish! Supposed to be Rooster, is it a HE?!

I think you should start rooster-shopping. Carl's a Carla. Her crest is very rounded with none of the pointy hackle that is usually quite prominent in Polish boys (I love them too). Nice jaunty tail but nothing resembling a sickle and no evidence of hackle feathers. Behavior sounds very pullet as well. I have a Buff Laced Polish hen myself and yours looks very similar. Carla is more beautiful than mine, though. As for size, I am wondering if maybe you ended up with a bantam Polish. I just lost my Buff Laced bantam hen & she was smaller than my standard Buff Laced Polish hen, but not by much. Or Carla could just be a little small, then fill out to the medium size bird (3 - 4 lbs) she'll grow up to be. Either way, she's beautiful!!

Quote:
Thank you very much! Carla is so very sweet. I'm okay that he's a she. They thought it was a he because the crest was not rounded like his sister, Wendy. (or her sister I guess).. Anyway. Her voice is very peepy.. like a chick almost. I'm pretty sure she's bantam. Probably weighs around 2 pounds if not less. Her sister is so much bigger! You should have seen the father. Wow.. HE was stunning. He had much less of a crest though, and you could see the red comb. I don't see any comb what-so-ever.

Wondering now if my d'uccle is a rooster.. All this hackle feather BS is confusing lol. Can a young hen also have pointy feathers? Her comb is so much less prominent than her brothers. She's also very submissive and sweet. I wish it was easier to distinguish the boys from girls!!
he.gif

i was told you can tell them apart by the affro,a girls is shaped like a pompom and a boys more wild and all over the place.also i was told theyre slow growers they get to about 6-8months old and just go boom,out of nowhere.xx

Both sexes have hackle (neck) feathers but you can use the to tell the difference between the sexes. The ends of a hen's hackle feathers will be rounded (you may have to hold the end of the feather against your finger in some color patterns to see that it is actually rounded) and a rooster's hackle feathers will be longer, skinnier, and pointed on the ends. Saddle feathers (across the lower back and right in front of the tail) are unique to roosters (unless it is a hen feathered breed like a Sebright). These feathers too will be long, skinny, and pointy but often don't start to show until 3-4 months. You can always part the feathers along the back right in front of the tail and see if any of these feathers are starting to come in. They will typically be more intensely colored and very shiny compared to the other feathers.

Quote:
That is a boy! I have the same type of polish the boys are generally darker orange and the females are creamy colored! There amazing polish!

See how her feathers on her neck (formally called hackle feathers) are rounded, as well as the ones on her back? That means it is a girl. No doubt, in my mind anyways.

Back
Top Bottom