1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

HELP...shavings stuck on belly of two week old???

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by bumblebee, May 13, 2009.

1. bumblebee

bumblebee New Egg

May 13, 2009
    im new to the chick thing and im concerned about one of my chicks. i just noticed that one of our barred rocks has what appears to be some of the bedding stuck to her belly (and she doesnt have any feathers there either). we have been regularly cleaning out the brooder. i didnt notice it until just now. i tried to take pics, but they didnt come out. has anyone else experienced this and if so, how do i fix it. i didnt want to just pull it because her skin seem so sensitive and thin. any help would be greatly appreciated

2. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

[​IMG] Brush them off gently and if any are really stuck use a damp warm cloth to soak them until they come off easily....

3. bumblebee

bumblebee New Egg

May 13, 2009
    they are totally stuck on there...so just brushing wont help....i tried a warm damp q-tip (like for pasty butt), but it didnt help. maybe a wash cloth will help up the dosage and do the trick....just in case any other suggestions would be great. thanks.

4. JennsPeeps

JennsPeeps Rhymes with 'henn'

Jun 14, 2008
    South Puget Sound
    You could soak her in warm water then dry her with a hair dryer that's on warm (not hot). Dry her thoroughly so she doesn't get chilled.

5. bumblebee

bumblebee New Egg

May 13, 2009
    the damp cloth worked great.....i think lorraine loved it.....she just stood there, closed her eyes and rested her head on my hand.

thanks for the help

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by