Help, sick duck

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by asmason, Feb 8, 2016.

1. asmason

asmason New Egg

Feb 8, 2016
    My girl started acting odd over a week ago, wouldn't go in her house at night.I brought her in four days ago and have givenher antibiotics and kept her in the bathroom with periodically giving her a warm bath. She isn't wanting to eat anything for days. I thought I'd put her back out this morning and see I'd she'd eat with the boys. I noticed her back end. She has very bad balance. We thought she hadn't been laying but found 9 eggs hidden out yesterday. She hasn't laid since she's been inside. Any suggestions?? Don't want to lose her.

2. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    If you can get her to a vet, please do so.

She may be egg bound, in which case a long bath can help, and she would need extra calcium a.s.a.p.

I would crush a 250mg calcium citrate tablet and sprinkle it over a couple of tablespoons of thawed peas (my ducks' favorite treat). If you cannot get that, a Tums antacid will do in a pinch.

Then I would put half the tablet on peas twice a day for several days.

Be careful how you pick her up to avoid crushing any eggs that may be in there. She may also have a prolapse - a life-threatening condition that can be caused by being egg bound.

How are things now? I would keep her in where it's fairly warm.

3. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop

Welcome to BYC! Can you take her to a vet?

-Kathy

4. casportpony

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
  5. asmason

asmason New Egg

Feb 8, 2016
    I had been trying the warm bath for several days and tried tums. I had read it on another forum. She passed last night. :'( her poo turned to blue liquid and then mucousy.

6. casportpony

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop

Sorry for your loss.

-Kathy

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by