Help! Something wrong with my duck!

amanda2013

Hatching
Aug 6, 2015
Well I have 3 ducks and are supposed to be all female. Today I went out at 8 am to let them out of their pen and all came out except 1. She's been laying in the duck house for about 3 hours now and she's acting very lethargic. Normally these ducks don't like being touched or held and she's letting me pet her and touch her. Nothing abnormal in her poop or breathing. Only thing wrong is that she won't eat or drink and she has a large masS of feathers missing from the back of her neck. I'm new to raising ducks so this is my first time but from what I've read that means she's being bred too much. She was fine yesterday Im not sure what I should do at this point she will not leave her duck house. Anyone have any suggestions on what to do? Should I separate her?

How old are they? She hasn't eaten or had anything to drink all day?

Let me tag some other members that know LOTS more than I do...

@Miss Lydia
@jtn42248
@ricebabyca
@Amiga
@JadeComputerGal
@needlessjunk

Yes separate her, give her time in a lukewarm tub of water - keep an eye in her the whole time.

She may have internal injuries. You may have two drakes. How old are they? Can you upload a photo of them?

It sound like she may have been overbred. Like mentioned before you may have two males and one female which can prove to be fatel to the female. Remove her from the other ducks. Post pictures of them if you can so we can help determining their gender. You may find that you need to get additional females and rehome one of the males if they are both male.

They are only 6 months old I have them all separated right now. The one who is injured can't even bend her neck to eat or drink. She's not quaking either. And yes I can post a picture

It sound like she may have been overbred. Like mentioned before you may have two males and one female which can prove to be fatel to the female. Remove her from the other ducks. Post pictures of them if you can so we can help determining their gender. You may find that you need to get additional females and rehome one of the males if they are both male.

left to right. Penelope the one that IS injured the one in the middle is the suspected drake and the last one is a suspected female.

Back
Top Bottom