Help! Suspecting coccidiosis

Shoptopodi

Songster
May 17, 2018
I noticed couple of days earlier this color poop. This morning i saw one rooster's poop is all liquidy with mucous. I am very new and not an expert. Searching online, I'm suspecting coccidiosis. Should i start treating with amprolium (online knowledge) or wait to see if there is any other symptoms? All the chickens look healthy. Eating, drinking regularly. I have one 2+yrs old hen, others are 16 wks old and some 10 wks. The hen has reduced laying eggs but i thought because of the age🙁 Always appreciate your help😊 thanks in advance

Attachments

• IMG_20200522_165111.jpg
    IMG_20200522_165111.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 12
All of it is cecal poop which is normal about every 8-10 droppings. I also see shed intestinal lining which is normal on occasion. However in this instance I recommend getting your birds started on Corid.
Dosage for Corid 9.6% liquid solution is 9.5cc per gallon of water for 5 days. Make it fresh each day and dont add anything else into the mixture.

All of it is cecal poop which is normal about every 8-10 droppings. I also see shed intestinal lining which is normal on occasion. However in this instance I recommend getting your birds started on Corid.
Dosage for Corid 9.6% liquid solution is 9.5cc per gallon of water for 5 days. Make it fresh each day and dont add anything else into the mixture.
thank you both for adding the dosage amount

About deworming, do i need to do it even if there is no worm? I read somewhere, flock needs to be dewormed every 6 months.
It depends on your environment how often you should worm your birds, particularly soil conditions. Warm moist wet soil requires frequent wormings. Cool or cold soil, mountainous or rocky, or hot desert like soil requires less frequent wormings.
How do you know your birds dont have worms? Put fresh fecal samples from several birds in a ziplock bag, shake it, and take it to any vet so they can look at it under a microscope for worm eggs. They'll let you know if you have to worm your birds or not.

It's not common you'll see worms in feces. Why would a worm (parasite) leave its host? The only time you'll see worms is when there's no more room in the guts and they are excreted, or they get old and die, then excreted. By the time you see any of this, damage has occurred to the intestinal lining effecting nutritional absorption. Worm excretions are toxic and makes birds sick.
I worm my birds monthly due to our warm and wet soil. Depending on the wormer I use, we eat the eggs after worming. Other wormers I use, I toss them in the garbage.

I usually add food grade diatomaceous earth to our girls food every 4-6 months as a maintenance plan. Basically I deworm seasonally. The powder is white not beige like what you get at the feed store. I purchase it online. It seems to have worked for me and we have never had a worm problem in the 6 years we have been keeping chickens.
I keep a container I always use to measure and I shake it up with the DE. I will attach the homesteader video I started with. I deworm less often than her unless I suspect something. Also, there are treats you can give that are suppose to be natural dewormer, like pumpkin seeds. I have cut open a pumpkin and let the birds have a tasty treat.
I have always preferred the preventive natural methods Before medication.
That’s just me though.

Note: I noticed she changed her video some...lol! The content is the same if you can get past her voice. This woman left the mainstream workforce in the city -left to start a homestead.

Last edited:
Hello!
My silkies had this when they were very young, unfortunately I was too late to save one of them 💔 but I put something in their water called ‘Corid’ and it helped the other 5 tremendously (got it from tractor supply). It was actually recommended for me here, on BYC!
There is a certain amount of it you should put depending on how much water it’s going in, but I will have to get that info from another thread. (I can go search for it if you need me to)
I hope everything goes well, good luck! :hugs

About deworming, do i need to do it even if there is no worm? I read somewhere, flock needs to be dewormed every 6 months.

I usually add food grade diatomaceous earth to our girls food every 4-6 months as a maintenance plan. Basically I deworm seasonally. The powder is white not beige like what you get at the feed store. I purchase it online. It seems to have worked for me and we have never had a worm problem in the 6 years we have been keeping chickens.
I keep a container I always use to measure and I shake it up with the DE. I will attach the homesteader video I started with. I deworm less often than her unless I suspect something. Also, there are treats you can give that are suppose to be natural dewormer, like pumpkin seeds. I have cut open a pumpkin and let the birds have a tasty treat.
I have always preferred the preventive natural methods Before medication.
That’s just me though.

Note: I noticed she changed her video some...lol! The content is the same if you can get past her voice. This woman left the mainstream workforce in the city -left to start a homestead.
Thank you. I'll keep the maintenance thing in mind from now on🙂 I've started Corid. So not giving them anything else right now.
I've seen some of her videos, it's helpful. Thanks for that too.

Back
Top Bottom